bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Quite a long story, but I will try to keep it short, as I do actually need some advice.

Yesterday I was experimenting with overclocking my i7-860,

I found that it would run quite happily at 4.2 GHz with the memory incredibly slow compared to what it's rated for, the memory couldn't go above about 1550 MHz, even though I had previously experimented with overclocking the memory whilst the CPU was at stock speeds, it passes linX at about 2200 Mhz.

So after some research I found that the memory controller is in the CPU.

I loaded optimized defaults, and set the X.M.P for the memory to Profile1 (I assume its some information the memory manufacturer puts into the sticks so that motherboards can optimize BIOS settings for it).

After that I happily had my CPU running at 3.8 GHz and my memory at 2100 MHz.

The only problem I have with this is that the profile QPI voltage is 1.4 V, and I have read that intel only rates it to a maximum safe voltage of 1.2 V.

So I need somebody with quite a good knowledge of these controllers to advise me on whether running it at this voltage will decrease the lifetime expectancy of my 860.

Thanks.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I would be careful with your ram, dont go above 1.65v on your ram. Going higher than 1.65v on your ram can damage your cpu. Specially be careful if your using a foxconn socket 1156 board. And 1550 is pretty fast.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
The ram voltage is at 1.65, that's part of the profile.

Its a lotes ( Gigabyte p55a-ud3).

Do you know anything specifically about the QPI voltage?

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

you really shouldnt overclock the QPI, there is no real gain to doing it. As for the voltage no, i would google it. From what ive seen most people tend to leave the QPI alone when overclocking.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

Thanks.

i have read that before, but the problem is that is for x58 based i7s,

The QPI voltage on one of his screenshots is 1.8V, I definately know I cant do that with mine.

It's the fact that it is integrated into the cpu chip which is my concern.

I'm not attempting to overclock the QPI 'bus', it's the memory controller which is in the p55 cpu's dies.

1.4V should be okay though right?