NL running very slow Downtown..

Hi

Got a new pc in March, Sims 2 + Uni worked fine on it..

Its 3ghz, 512 Ram, ATI Radeon graphics card...

Works fine in the neighbourhood, slows to a crawl downtown, the sims seem to
take forever getting out of their car..

Other games work fine, RCT 3, Locomotion etc.....

Would more memory help?
Thanks in advance
Julia

I'm having that problem, too. Our computer is about a year old and
I've run the Sims 1 and, up until now, Sims 2 on it with no (major)
problems.

Before installing I put my downloads somewhere else, uninstalled all
games (S2, Uni), did a disk clean-up and defrag, and then reinstalled
and added Nightlife. I didn't put my downloads back in. Since then
I've have a lot of little bugs pop up and the slow downtown.

I still think Nightlife is a lot of fun but it's fulla bugs. I had a
garbage can lid just floating in the air at the Pleasants, and when
Darren Dreamer was bowling downtown, he walked like he had a wooden
leg...his left leg wouldn't bend!

Crikey - you too. I wonder if something else is going on here not just the
capabilities of your system? My computer is over three years old and has a
processor speed of 1.6GHz. I DO have 1 MB RAM and a fairly high-powered ATI
Graphics card
(though no longer anywhere near the top of the range). The game runs fine
for the most part and I have all the graphics set on the highest or next to
highest setting. I have some slight hiccups in the largest dorm I run (16
students). When I do those test thingies on the web, my set up comes well
over the line for sufficiency but is no where near the top end of the
spectrum. I have no problems running Downtown lots. I took a party of 8
there last night and they had a fine old time - a meal and then a party at a
club afterwards. There were several NPCs and some townies on the lots -
enough townies to be annoying, as a matter of fact, as they got in the way
when I wanted to do some things.

What I'm saying is people are reporting problems with the game running
smoothly with systems that are, frankly, several times better than mine and
I wonder why. I would guess the only thing I do that most people don't, is
manage my downloads carefully. Anything that doesn't work properly, or has
too much complexity, especially meshes, goes. Complex objects, in
particular, can slow the game down a lot.

It's just a suggestion, but if you have a lot of downloads you might try
running the game without the Downloads folder in and see if that helps
performance.

Best wishes
maxon

"Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Got a new pc in March, Sims 2 + Uni worked fine on it..
>
> Its 3ghz, 512 Ram, ATI Radeon graphics card...
>
> Works fine in the neighbourhood, slows to a crawl downtown, the sims seem
> take forever getting out of their car..
>
> Other games work fine, RCT 3, Locomotion etc.....
>
> Would more memory help?
> Thanks in advance
> Julia

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I only just re-installed the game a week before nightlife came out, and
there are no downloads in it, and also no hacks...

I am thinking of getting more memory, as also in the dorms, I had to modify
them so that there were only about 4 or 5 students in, any more and the game
started to slow down then..
Although it wasn't as bad as nightlife in the downtowns...

Is there any way of limiting the amount of Townies that show, as they just
end up fighting anyway LOL?
On my old PC, there were just one or two on a Community Lot, and when
throwing a party, I only had the option to invite 2...

You're right though, a new PC shouldn't run games this slow..

Thanks
Julia

> Crikey - you too. I wonder if something else is going on here not just
> the
> capabilities of your system? My computer is over three years old and has
> processor speed of 1.6GHz. I DO have 1 MB RAM and a fairly high-powered
> ATI
> Graphics card
> (though no longer anywhere near the top of the range). The game runs fine
> for the most part and I have all the graphics set on the highest or next
> highest setting. I have some slight hiccups in the largest dorm I run (16
> students). When I do those test thingies on the web, my set up comes well
> over the line for sufficiency but is no where near the top end of the
> spectrum. I have no problems running Downtown lots. I took a party of 8
> there last night and they had a fine old time - a meal and then a party at
> club afterwards. There were several NPCs and some townies on the lots -
> enough townies to be annoying, as a matter of fact, as they got in the way
> when I wanted to do some things.
>
> What I'm saying is people are reporting problems with the game running
> smoothly with systems that are, frankly, several times better than mine
> and
> I wonder why. I would guess the only thing I do that most people don't,
> is
> manage my downloads carefully. Anything that doesn't work properly, or
> has
> too much complexity, especially meshes, goes. Complex objects, in
> particular, can slow the game down a lot.
>
> It's just a suggestion, but if you have a lot of downloads you might try
> running the game without the Downloads folder in and see if that helps
> performance.
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>
> "Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Got a new pc in March, Sims 2 + Uni worked fine on it..
>>
>> Its 3ghz, 512 Ram, ATI Radeon graphics card...
>>
>> Works fine in the neighbourhood, slows to a crawl downtown, the sims seem
>> take forever getting out of their car..
>>
>> Other games work fine, RCT 3, Locomotion etc.....
>>
>> Would more memory help?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Julia

mmm - update your drivers?

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I only just re-installed the game a week before nightlife came out, and
> there are no downloads in it, and also no hacks...
>
> I am thinking of getting more memory, as also in the dorms, I had to
modify
> them so that there were only about 4 or 5 students in, any more and the
game
> started to slow down then..
> Although it wasn't as bad as nightlife in the downtowns...
>
> Is there any way of limiting the amount of Townies that show, as they just
> end up fighting anyway LOL?
> On my old PC, there were just one or two on a Community Lot, and when
> throwing a party, I only had the option to invite 2...
>
> You're right though, a new PC shouldn't run games this slow..
>
> Thanks
> Julia

Also defrag, remove as many temp files as you can regularly and make sure
you do not have other programs running in the backround(especially
antivirus)

Also if you don't want to buy more ram right now, try adjusting your
settings on notch lower and see if that helps..

I gave up trying to play the "do I have enough ram game?"; and since
December have brought my 3.2 computer up to 2 gig of ddr ram. Now I know I
have enough(at least until they decide to come out with Sims3!! LOL)

Tina

> mmm - update your drivers?
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>

> "Julia" <julia.suzanne@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I only just re-installed the game a week before nightlife came out, and
> > there are no downloads in it, and also no hacks...
> >
> > I am thinking of getting more memory, as also in the dorms, I had to
> modify
> > them so that there were only about 4 or 5 students in, any more and the
> game
> > started to slow down then..
> > Although it wasn't as bad as nightlife in the downtowns...
> >
> > Is there any way of limiting the amount of Townies that show, as they
just
> > end up fighting anyway LOL?
> > On my old PC, there were just one or two on a Community Lot, and when
> > throwing a party, I only had the option to invite 2...
> >
> > You're right though, a new PC shouldn't run games this slow..
> >
> > Thanks
> > Julia

kat

Maxon said

> Crikey - you too. I wonder if something else is going on here not
> just the capabilities of your system? My computer is over three
> years old and has a processor speed of 1.6GHz. I DO have 1 MB RAM
> and a fairly high-powered ATI Graphics card
> (though no longer anywhere near the top of the range). The game runs
> fine for the most part and I have all the graphics set on the highest
> or next to highest setting. I have some slight hiccups in the
> largest dorm I run (16 students). When I do those test thingies on
> the web, my set up comes well over the line for sufficiency but is no
> where near the top end of the spectrum. I have no problems running
> Downtown lots. I took a party of 8 there last night and they had a
> fine old time - a meal and then a party at a club afterwards. There
> were several NPCs and some townies on the lots - enough townies to be
> annoying, as a matter of fact, as they got in the way when I wanted
> to do some things.

I don't know what is going on either. I have a 2Ghz processor, 1Gb RAM
and was running an ancient nVidia card until 2 weeks ago. The game had
to have the lowest settings, and community lots were almost deserted. A
check on that posted website said all was fine except the card, and I
got a new one - an ATI Radeon 9550, chosen by my husband because
everyone had them in stock. :) It made a huge improvement - reset the
graphics to High everything, though I turned off shadows and
reflections. And suddenly there were people in the store and the coffee
shop, and I could have 8 people to a party. Testing though it only just
passed.

At the weekend I got NightLife and first I updated the drivers. Now I'm
back to 2 people to parties and very few in the lots. I took a sim on a
date last night, there were 2 NPCs and 4 townies on the lot, apart from
the 2 of them. It wasn't too slow, but it was a bit jerky.

Earlier today I was thinking new processor - but now ..???

> What I'm saying is people are reporting problems with the game running
> smoothly with systems that are, frankly, several times better than
> mine and I wonder why. I would guess the only thing I do that most
> people don't, is manage my downloads carefully. Anything that
> doesn't work properly, or has too much complexity, especially meshes,
> goes. Complex objects, in particular, can slow the game down a lot.
>
> It's just a suggestion, but if you have a lot of downloads you might
> try running the game without the Downloads folder in and see if that
> helps performance.

I don't have a huge number and they are pretty organised. I started the
game without any but had statues all over the place where recolours etc
were! Which is only a small improvement on the urns I had on heads when
I installed Uni - I cleared out a lot then.

--
kat

Julia wrote:
> Hi
>
> Got a new pc in March, Sims 2 + Uni worked fine on it..
>
> Its 3ghz, 512 Ram, ATI Radeon graphics card...
>
> Works fine in the neighbourhood, slows to a crawl downtown, the sims
> seem to take forever getting out of their car..
>
> Other games work fine, RCT 3, Locomotion etc.....
>
> Would more memory help?

And here I thought I was the only one who plays Locomotion. I would say more
memory might help. Your cpu is much more powerful than mine but I have more
memory and am not having any problems. I don't know what your video memory
is like either but that might be worth checking into.

Gareeth

strider

>At the weekend I got NightLife and first I updated the drivers. Now I'm
>back to 2 people to parties and very few in the lots. I took a sim on a
>date last night, there were 2 NPCs and 4 townies on the lot, apart from
>the 2 of them. It wasn't too slow, but it was a bit jerky.

I ran out of patience and went to the shop and bought the stupid
thing, and I have the same problems. My system is an Athlon 64 3700+
with 4GB memory and Nvidia Geforce 6800. I'm certainly not going to
upgrade it just to play this game.

However, that's not all it does. In University dorms no-one does
assignments any more and even in large dorms there are never more than
three students around. I have no hacks in the game so it can't be
that.

Hi

Thanks to all that replied :)

My video card memory is 128, good or bad I don't know.

Looking into increasing my RAM memory, must be that thats causing the
slowdown, although now the whole computer is running slow, and taking ages
to Shutdown.
I'm on Windows XP Media Center.
Locomotion's brilliant, I love the music on it, I got it a week before NL,
it runs no problem.
Just figuring out how to get the factories and so on working, there isnt a
newsgroup for it, and havent found much info on the net either, just a
patch....

Take care
Julia