Sign in with
Your question

Trying to Share a Hard Drive That is Setup in a RAID 0

Last response: in Networking
November 11, 2009 9:30:06 PM

I have a computer out in the living room (running Vista 64 bit). There are 4 hard drives inside setup on a RAID 0. The total amount of storage comes out to be about 5.5TB total. I have the letter drive set to R

I share the "R Drive" as \\Desktop2\RDrive

Now I go to my other computer in the bedroom (running Windows 7 64 bit) and I want it to pick-up this RDrive so I can start storing all my media on it. However, every time I try to connect to it, it says Windows cannot access \\Desktop2\RDrive You do not have permission, contact your admin to request access

Will it not connect to this drive because it's multiple hard drives setup on a RAID? I have a stand-alone 500GB hard drive in the living room computer and the bedroom computer can connect just fine to it and open files, etc.

Any ideas why my "R Drive" won't connect in the bedroom?

Thanks!
November 12, 2009 4:09:21 PM

This is a permissions problem within Windows.
Or maybe the Windows firewall
RAID is not the problem.

Try turning off the firewalls.
Try \\your Desktop IP address\RDrive
m
l
November 12, 2009 4:39:04 PM

can you see the "RDIRVE" folder is you just do start run \\desktop2
?
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2009 5:31:46 PM

PowerMan57two said:
I have a computer out in the living room (running Vista 64 bit). There are 4 hard drives inside setup on a RAID 0. The total amount of storage comes out to be about 5.5TB total. I have the letter drive set to R

I share the "R Drive" as \\Desktop2\RDrive

Now I go to my other computer in the bedroom (running Windows 7 64 bit) and I want it to pick-up this RDrive so I can start storing all my media on it. However, every time I try to connect to it, it says Windows cannot access \\Desktop2\RDrive You do not have permission, contact your admin to request access

Will it not connect to this drive because it's multiple hard drives setup on a RAID? I have a stand-alone 500GB hard drive in the living room computer and the bedroom computer can connect just fine to it and open files, etc.

Any ideas why my "R Drive" won't connect in the bedroom?

Thanks!

On the windows7 64 bit computer, open up notepad, copy and paste the following in between the dotted lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM The following line will disconnect the mapped drive, it will not delete the share on desktop2
NET USE R: /delete
REM The following line will connect to the rdrive share on desktop2
REM if you changed the name of the administrator account on Desktop2
REM then you will have to change the name in this script to match
REM Also, your password will be in clear text, so if multiple people use this machine
REM you might not want to do this
NET USE R: \\desktop2\rdrive /user:administrator@desktop2 (password)
EXIT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now save the file as logon.bat
You will get a warning that if you change the file extension blah blah blah (just do it)
If you save this in the startup folder, it will run every time you logon to that windows7 machine and refresh the mapping
or you could nest this file somewhere and add an entry in the msconfig / startup tab pointing to that file.
NOTE: (this is only security by obscurity and is not a good common practice :non:  But will work for two PC folder sharing)

Hope this helps
m
l
November 19, 2009 4:15:22 PM

Both computers are using different username and passwords to log in it seems.

On both computers you will need to have the same account created. On both computers create the same account. On the RDrive shared out, you'll want to grant permission for the share and permission on the security tabs if available.

When Computer 1 tries to access Computer 2's RDrive, it'll pass along the login info of Computer 1 to Computer 2. Computer 2 doesn't have that account on its computer and can not validate Computer 1's access. Access is denied. But if you create the same account on Computer 2 that Computer 1 has, along with granting access to the Share (and Security, not sure with Win7) you'll get access.
m
l
November 20, 2009 1:52:47 PM

Riser, he is specifying the account in the logon script. /user:user@comp (password)
m
l
November 20, 2009 5:33:43 PM

In the command line, I know. I was stating that if he set the user up on the other computer he wouldn't need to pass the computer the username/password again. In each case that he wants to connect he'll have to pass the username/password for the first connection.
The mapped drive will be available but each time he has to access it he'll have to log in. If he created his account on the other server, he would get access. Just showing a different way to set it up to remove having to enter the login info each time.
m
l
!