Noob seeking advice on gaming rig

aik_84

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
This is the first computer I've ever built, my current system is a sub $400 office machine bought in 2005. Needless to say it has not aged well at all, I decided the best thing to do would be to build a whole new system. I want to know how well these parts will work together, although I am open to suggestions of any different parts I could use. This will probably be a wall of text

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I haven't set an exact date, before the end of the year hopefully. Sooner if I know if these parts will work together and what I can change.

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 - $1300 Before rebates/special deals/promo codes/shipping, Cheaper is better as long as longevity and reliability aren't sacrificed.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Heavy Gaming, Multitasking

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, Keyboard, DVD-RAM drive, Speakers, Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: i7 920 WD Black HDDs

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, CPU only, 3.6GHz SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need it to play GTA: IV, Oblivion, Borderlands and Tropico 3 at 1920x1200 with a decent framerate, I don't mind if some settings have to be low. Needs to play all Valve games at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed. I don't need a DX11 card right now, I'd rather wait until there are more choices.

It needs to have some degree of futureproofing. I am not planning on buying a new computer for at least 5 years, upgrading is something I want to avoid as well. I will probably only upgrade the graphics card to DX11 when I need it or overclock the processor more but I will not go above 4.0GHz. I won't overclock graphics cards or memory though.

For a case I don't need a window, lights, ugly faceplates, or any other fancy junk. I want a big square box with many fans and good airflow. If it does have lights there has to be some way to turn them off either built in or through software. Front USB ports are a must, I have 0 now and only 4 in the back. I don't really mind noise as my current system is very loud, quiet is always good though.

The motherboard needs to have at least 1 PATA/IDE connection on it for the DVD-RAM drive.

PARTS:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XCLIO Blackhawk Black Finish 0.8 mm SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Full Tower Extreme Cooling Computer Case - Retail $119.99
I'm not sure on the case, very hard to decide without being able to have it in front of you.

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $169.99

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail $288.99

Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail $34.99

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail $141.99

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail $194.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $159.99
I don't know if I actually need this much power. I want at least enough for 2 1TB HDDs in the future. I don't really want a modular PSU but if it lowers costs then I'm open to suggestions.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $74.99
If the 1TB drive is faster then I will upgrade.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $109.99

I don't trust my math but this should bring me to $1,295.91, just slightly under budget.

Solution
^ That's a good config...
There are certain changes that you can consider...
1. CASE + HDD -
This is a killer deal and I dont think you can find any thing better...
WD Black 640GB + CM690 for about $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.273732
This case has very good airflow, lots of slots for fans, and is spacious too...And has very good build quality...This I should say is one of the best Mid Towers out there...

As for the PSU, Yes I doubt you will ever need that much power and that too you will not SLI/ Crossfire, I see no point getting that big PSU..
Adding 2-3 HDD wont affect the power requirements...
The Corsair 550VX is a solid option...
It can run any single chip graphics card out there(Upto...
^ That's a good config...
There are certain changes that you can consider...
1. CASE + HDD -
This is a killer deal and I dont think you can find any thing better...
WD Black 640GB + CM690 for about $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.273732
This case has very good airflow, lots of slots for fans, and is spacious too...And has very good build quality...This I should say is one of the best Mid Towers out there...

As for the PSU, Yes I doubt you will ever need that much power and that too you will not SLI/ Crossfire, I see no point getting that big PSU..
Adding 2-3 HDD wont affect the power requirements...
The Corsair 550VX is a solid option...
It can run any single chip graphics card out there(Upto GTX 285/ HD 5870)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Or even this...

Antec EA 650W at the max...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Rest are very good choices...

Solution

aik_84

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
The USB and audio ports seem inconvenient being on top in the middle of the case instead of the front. I can't put the case below the desk but I can move all the junk on the desk out of the way. I have heard good things about Antec cases though and it is big enough for any graphics card and heatsink I will ever use.

Tough choice with the PSU...
I could get 650W if I ever upgrade to a new graphics card that draws more power or the 550W because I doubt any new card will use more power.

TRENDING THREADS