tjohnson92389

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Im completely computer retarded and need help customizing my computer to run to its fullest. i bought it from a friend and i know the full specs(almost). It used to run at about 37 idle, and about 45-50 while running my MMO i play. Now its idling at about 44, and reaching up to 70 when i use youtube, and play.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE:
AMD Phenom X3 720 processor
4 gigs of ram
overclocked to 3.0
2 120mm fans(one out the side, and out the back)
Nzxt apollo chasis case
Nvidia GTX 275

tried cleaning the fans, it didnt do much. As i said, im not to bright with computers, i know a little, but i could use some help PLEASE. Thank you

Since you have already cleaned the fans and heatsinks, you might re-seat the CPU with fresh Thermal Interface Material, like Arctic Silver 5. That would improve the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink and should help reduce your CPU temps.

You can also use canned air to blow out the intake and exhaust case vents - dust collecting there can impede the internal case airflow and reduce cooling.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Yeah if you put the heatsink back on the CPU without cleaning off the old and applying new thermal grease then you're no longer getting a good heat transfer there. Clean off the old stuff with some rubbing alcohol and a rag (not a kleenex or anything that will flake apart) and put some fresh stuff on there. Not too much though...just enough to cover the surface of the CPU after you push the heatsink back onto it.

tjohnson92389

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

When you say heatsink, you mean the actual fan right? take it out and clean it?

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Well the fan is the fan obviously but the heat sink is the metal thing with the fins and is the part the actually makes contact with the CPU. If you have removed this part and put it back on without cleaning and re-applying thermal grease (the grey gunk aka TIM) then that is most definitely what is causing the increased heat. Also you could have flipped the fan and now it is pulling air through the heatsink and pushing it away rather than pushing air down onto the heatsink.
If you have only removed the fan from the heatsink but left the heatsink clamped down to the CPU and reinstalled the fan facing the proper direction, then something else is probably the issue. Have you placed the tower inside of a cabinet or enclosure that could restrict airflow or next to a baseboard heater? Perhaps one or more of your fans is no longer working or working as it should? Try turning the computer on with the side panel off so you can see each fan to make sure they all start spinning once you turn it on.
First I would focus on the TIM though. Arctic Silver 5 is pretty popular but just be cautious that none bleeds out onto the mobo as you could get a short or a ground fault as it is electrically conductive. MX-2 is also a good choice and is non-conductive.
70° is way too hot and could damage your CPU so I would recommend against using the computer for anything other than internet explorer until you get this problem solved.