Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do i change the length of characters in my folders with windows xp?

Last response: in Windows XP
April 21, 2012 10:33:52 AM

Update: I have bought the Program that was mentioned by two people and it is doing great for the issue I was having. Thank you all for your help. I've learned a lot more about computers since I first posted this question and realize now what I had been doing.-Cheryl

I have Windows XP and when I try to move files from one folder to another or slide a folder to my external harddrive, I get a message that says "Cannot copy (file name): The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."

None of the files or even the folders themselves, have a long name. I run a good antivirus so it can't be a virus on my computer. I've gone to so many online pages that suggest I buy this or do that. I can't understand why these 'do this' or 'do that' suggestions don't work. What else can I do to rectify this problem?
April 21, 2012 12:46:37 PM

taultales said:
I have Windows XP and when I try to move files from one folder to another or slide a folder to my external harddrive, I get a message that says "Cannot copy (file name): The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."

None of the files or even the folders themselves, have a long name. I run a good antivirus so it can't be a virus on my computer. I've gone to so many online pages that suggest I buy this or do that. I can't understand why these 'do this' or 'do that' suggestions don't work. What else can I do to rectify this problem?

The file name consists of the entire path including the file name. -- not just the file name. For example, the following file name is over 50 Characters long and it's located in the root of the My Documents folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\kptech\My Documents\testfile.txt

If you have files nested several folders deeper than this as many folks do, you can very quickly end up with extremely long filenames.
Score
April 21, 2012 8:27:16 PM

ksiemb said:
The file name consists of the entire path including the file name. -- not just the file name. For example, the following file name is over 50 Characters long and it's located in the root of the My Documents folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\kptech\My Documents\testfile.txt

If you have files nested several folders deeper than this as many folks do, you can very quickly end up with extremely long filenames.

-----------------------------
Oh, now I understand. So the file name includes the names of all the folders-also subfolders.

How would I figure out how and where this problem originated, because so many folders are on my external, which is where I'm having
the problem?

thank you for explaining your first comments to me. That was a big help.

Cheryl
Score
April 28, 2012 4:21:25 AM

Well, now I understand why I'm getting this message. But, why after two years of working in these folders. Even those that I haven't gone any deeper...I'm getting this message. Is there a way to turn it off or 'add' more character allotment to the Windows 'rules of folder naming!' I'm trying to figure out what to do to stop the error. Do I bring those deep-sub folders forward so the path name is not as long to stop the message? What I need is a solution to this problem. If Windows allows only 50 characters and some of my folders have reached that capacity, where inside of Windows can I change that default to a number that best suits my needs. Thank you for answers to this problem.
Score
Related resources
!