Sign in with
Your question

Kingston ssd windows 7 install

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2011 2:16:09 AM

Hello, having difficulty installing windows 7 on my new Kingston SSD Now SSD on my HP Notebook DV6000.
Wndows starts install and then ask for a driver, I was told by tech support to try to include on a flash drive the NVIDIA chipset driver...It looks like it identifies it to install but doesn't. So I have no luck so far any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
a b G Storage
September 18, 2011 4:00:28 AM

you may very well need a driver, the chipset dirver could be what you want. the AHCI driver may be more to the point. you can go into your bios and disable AHCI support, it may be called compatibility vs performance mode for your HD or IDE vs sata mode. in either case change it to its other setting and try then. that will remove the requirement of a driver to install. see what happens then.
m
l
September 22, 2011 1:54:32 AM

Thanks so much for your response...
My notebook bios doesn't have any options to customize or change any settings like that. Are there any type of chipset driver u think I could try to install when prompted in the win7 install?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
September 22, 2011 2:08:45 AM

Visit the HP support for your laptop. Underdownlads for drivers see if there is one labled "F6".

Option, with your old HD connected. You might down load AS SSD. Open the program. You do not need to run the benchmark. Look in upper left and it should and it should identify what driver your HDD is using. That should be the F6 driver you need.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 2:13:16 AM

the F6 is in reference to windows xp wich required you to press F6 to load drivers durring the windows setup process.

as for your driver, look under your laptop. there should be a sticker that says DV6XXX let me know what the specific model number is and i can look up your MB/chipsets. it will be dv6150se or dv6414us something like that
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 353 G Storage
September 22, 2011 2:26:24 AM

^ I Had to use the F6 using windows 7 to allow installation on one of my systems. Windows 7 is much better interms of generic drive support, but does not have all.
m
l
September 22, 2011 3:10:22 AM

I am very appreciative of your help and efforts...
my hp model # is dv6113us... thanks

ncc74656 said:
the F6 is in reference to windows xp wich required you to press F6 to load drivers durring the windows setup process.

as for your driver, look under your laptop. there should be a sticker that says DV6XXX let me know what the specific model number is and i can look up your MB/chipsets. it will be dv6150se or dv6414us something like that

m
l
a b G Storage
September 22, 2011 4:54:45 AM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GMFONDXP

32 and 64 bit drivers for your comp. sorry it took so long, i spent 20 min trying to make megauplaod accept the damn file. anyway, they should work, i downloaded the files from nvidia and extracted there exe's then pulled the controller drivers out. one driver is for raid and the other is for sata, try both. depending on what settings your bios have it may want the raid folder or the ide folder. if you have an issue with 64 bit where it says the drivers are not digitally signed you can use the 32 bit drivers instead. if they wont install then you will have to go into cmd line (shift F10) and manualy force the drivers to install. i have run into that issue before. good luck

on a side note did you know www.hop.com is registered to hooked on phonics?
m
l
September 25, 2011 10:36:42 PM

Many thanks once again for your kind assistance in helping me.

I downloaded your drivers and tried all of them, to load them when requested during Win7 install...
A message pops up stating...
: to continue installation, install 32 bit and signed 64 bit drivers . Installing unsigned 64 bit device drivers is not suported and might result in unstable windows installation.

Can you describe the steps to force the drivers to install and how to go into the command line shift f10.
When do i press shift f10....? etc.?

Thanks again...I am up for the challlenge and look forward to getting this done...thank for your help!
m
l
a b G Storage
September 25, 2011 10:56:03 PM

god i hate the signed driver crap... why cant we all use linux where this crap dosnt happen and the OS lets the user tell it what to do >.>

some drivers will install during the repair process. when you load into windows setup click on repair your os instead of install. after its little scan go to the next menu and select load drivers. in this screen try to load the drivers. some times this will allow you to get unsigned drivers installed. i cant recall how i forced drivers to be installed in the setup process. im going to load up a VM box of 7 and play around a bit to see if i can figure it out. ill post back when i find out how i did it.
m
l
September 26, 2011 1:36:49 AM

thanks for the prompt response....
I followed your instructions to "repair" in win 7 install.
It allowed me to browse and click and take your setup driver files for sata ide 32bit, but did not apparently install them. It did not work. It went to the next menu which was like before to load drivers with no success.
Any next step?
Thanks...
m
l
a b G Storage
September 26, 2011 2:12:48 AM

can you go into your bios to change the way the os sees the HD? from AHCI to IDE or RAID? the only reason it cant see the HD is if its using AHCI right now. its also called compatibility or performance - you want compatibility. if not can you install 32bit 7 and then put the 64 disk in and select from inside the os to install 64 win7. this will force win7 to use the already installed sata drivers. ive had to do that with a model of toshiba laptops. i cant recall if i used 32 7 or 64 vista to use as a base os. its a round about process :( 
m
l
September 26, 2011 5:45:03 AM

I had the same/similar problem on an Acer machine when booting from the USB drive to install Win7. In my case, the problem was that even though I can boot the Windows install environment from the USB stick, for the actual installation and file copy the install version of Win7 also needs to see the USB drive, and that's what it couldn't do without a driver.
The solution was to download the USB driver from Acer.com. However, putting it on the USB stick was of no use, because Win7 install still wouldn't see it. So I had to put it on the SSD, Win7 install had no problem reading it from there.

m
l
September 26, 2011 3:29:26 PM

I found online on HP's support website info that may be suitable and possibly the solution, but I am not too advanced technically when it comes to forcing the drivers, etc. without further explanation

Since my HP notebook BIOS setup does not provide an option to disable the native-SATA configuration, it illustrates using Stand Alone Windows Installation with Total Commander and unpacking etc.

Remember, it allows me to browse and select the drivers I tried already using my USB stick, but it doesn't install.

Here is the link to HP"s support addressing my potential challenge....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

If you can tell me if this could work and give me some guidelines I am most appreciative.

thanks....

m
l
a b G Storage
September 26, 2011 3:39:57 PM

the link i sent you is exactly what they are saying you do with total cmdr, i jsut did the extraction for you.

it states that F10 with the power button will take you to a bios screen. the standard bios is just F10 so perhaps this is a back door entry into a more robust featureset? worth a try.

go check to make sure your bios is updated, perhaps a newer release of your bios has sata options in it. you can use cmd from in windows setup to flash your bios (this works most of the time). if it does nto let you execute the bios flash from in windows setup then go make a mini xp bartpe boot disk for such a task. If HP has an option to flash from dos this would be your best bet.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:56:50 PM

I updated to the latest bios just recently...so that is done and no changes that i noticed in the bios setup screen...

i am going to try the suggestion of yours with the F10 and power button....
and let u know...
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
October 11, 2012 10:20:46 PM

It's been a while, since this topic was risen, but I've faced similiar issue, and Googling it lead me here, so if anyone faces it in future, I think it'd be useful, if I put my solution here.

It's not actually a solution, but a workaround. Win7 (Professional, x64) was not recognizing my Kingston SSDNow V+ 64 in installation wizard, no matter of BIOS setup. That was actualyy a piss off for me :fou:  So I made in installation on a regular HDD, then used Acronis, to backup an image of my system disk, and restored it on the SSD. It worked! Of course it'd be harder to maintain such a procedure on a PC without a CD/DVD-ROM, and an additional HDD (where I put an image file). However USB-boot utilities and external USB storages can be used. Hope my efforts were usefull to anyone)
m
l
!