...Vertex2 vs Vertex3 or so...

Hi,

I have Vertex2 and I am wondering, if u actually see any difference in everyday computing, from boot to shut down with Vertex3 or fast Intel equivalent
or even OCZ PCI SSD.

<Benchmarks mean nothing to me>

My ssd works just fine under heavy load doing encoding in background with lots of browsing on chrome (anywhere between 100-250 tabs open in 2 or 3 instances running with only 1 extension - adblock but about 2000 bookmarks) and sometimes it is slower to load pages for moment when running 2nd pass on the encode, but that has to do more probably with my C2D E6750 than with SSD.

I would like to hear from people who made transition like that and are running under some load.

I have now 1SSD- system and 5-6 other HDD's for everything else.

Asking, because I am going for 2600K and from C2D socket, it requires to build pretty much another PC :)

Thanx

Solution
The PCI hard drives like the Revodrive from OCZ are right now pretty much overkill and they're very new technology that hasn't been proven yet, I'd stay away from those unless you knew what you were doing.

I think the only difference between getting a SATA II hard drive and a SATA III hard drive would only really be noticeable with that kind of work load, but better would be two of the same hard drive and run them through RAID 0, that would be a huge boost.

g-unit1111

Titan
The PCI hard drives like the Revodrive from OCZ are right now pretty much overkill and they're very new technology that hasn't been proven yet, I'd stay away from those unless you knew what you were doing.

I think the only difference between getting a SATA II hard drive and a SATA III hard drive would only really be noticeable with that kind of work load, but better would be two of the same hard drive and run them through RAID 0, that would be a huge boost.

Solution

I tried PCI OCZ, not for everyone yet.

RAID 0 only boost sequential speed, not when u need 4kb.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
raid 0(sata OR PCI-E implementation) boosts speed across the entire spectrum.. not just sequentials.

and revo drives have been out for nearly 2 years now with decent results for most. Especially if you have fast enough raided storage to take advantage of the extra transfer speeds between volumes.

with any raided SSD setup(or Revo).. the more you do at one time(heavy multi-tasking)?.. the better the improvement in perceived gain.