5770 currently worth price?

unquist

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I'm thinking about getting a 5770 to replace my old 8800gts (which unceremoniously died on me recently). My question is: are there any major release of cards right on the horizon that would almost certainly lead to a price drop?

I understand that there will always be something new coming out, but I don't want to buy this card now if something that would depress the price will be released for the x-mas buying season.

Thanks,
Pete

Solution
Nothing on the near horizon other than Black Friday at the end of the month.

If you cannot wait until to save maybe $20 - $30, then just buy the HD 5770 now if DX11 is at the top of your list. Otherwise you can spend less for the HD 4870 (roughly same performance) or spend a little more for the HD 4890.
Nothing on the near horizon other than Black Friday at the end of the month.

If you cannot wait until to save maybe $20 - $30, then just buy the HD 5770 now if DX11 is at the top of your list. Otherwise you can spend less for the HD 4870 (roughly same performance) or spend a little more for the HD 4890.

Solution
Taking everything into account they are probably worth the money. Personally i think they are expensive for what they are but thats just my personal opinion based on whats gone before and my personal situation as far as upgrading goes. As a recomendation to others i would say that yes they are worth the money from a standing start. its just not an atractive update for me personally.
In your situation with No GPU then i would jump at one.

Mactronix