I5 Build Advice Please

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month (today being 10/27/09) BUDGET RANGE: Flexible

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming++, Watching Movies, Music, Small amounts of Video work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Case (will be using Chieftec Dragon Aluminum)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: So, basically this is where I am looking for suggestions (preferrably from current i5 users!). I am thinking for all intents and purposes, the i5 best suits my needs since I am a gamer. The 1156 certainly seems to make the most sense for my applications, being that I can also upgrade it to an i7 should I feel the urge.

Mobo 1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131482

Mobo 2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188057

I am sort of bouncing back and forth between either one of these boards--Not entirely sure if there is one that holds a definite advantage over the other. I prefer eVGA products, but I have used ASUS in the past with great results. I trust both brands, just lack the p55 chipset knowledge to decide which board I would have better luck with. Maybe they are quite equal? I like the HDD fast option on the Asus--but have more experience overclocking on eVGA boards. I believe for the hard drive speed option on the ASUS it is mandatory to have 2 identical drives running, yah? If so--that increases my build because I will need a secondary WD 640Gb caviar black (I am not opposed to the idea, but if it isn't really necessary to tack on an extra $80+- I would rather not.

The i5) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Seems like a great CPU, main difference from what I can tell (from i5 to i7) besides obviously clock speed--is HT. HT is a great feature, but for gaming I do not really think it will be an advantage worth the extra money an i7 would cost seeing as how so few applications (especially games) are multithreaded anyhow. An i5 with a modest overclock profile would likely yeild a higher (and cheaper) gaming solution, as far as I can tell.

Memory) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145266

I am very open to suggestion here on memory; however, I must say this: I am fairly biased. I have always (repeat, always) had great results with Corsair. I believe there is a premium paid out simply because of the name--and perhaps I'm being superstitious--but I have always had great performance with Corsair. I have used Gskill before with fine results, but in a machine that I plan to overclock (I would really like to run 2000mhz memory, especially since the i5's dual channel is known to use upwards of 90% of the memory bandwidth rather than 50%ish of older memory controllers) I would really like to a brand that is known to run well at high speed.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not for the time being

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Really looking for help from i5 users here, or someone who has experience with either of the two motherboards listed. Machine will most likely be overclocked (possibly water cooled) and will be my main gaming machine, as well as everyday user. Am open to suggestions for components, but really prefer sticking to high end motherboards and memory by trusted brands.

Thanks in advance for any extra help, research, or time spent on this--and I will be sure to consider it your good deed for the day :sol:

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Holy crap those are expensive boards for an i5-750 build... and here I thought I went a little overboard spending $185 on my Asus Maximus III Gene board!

I have an i5-750 with an Asus Maximus III Gene (the mATX version of the board you're looking at) and I can say without a doubt it's a quality board. Although I'm far from finished, my OC to 3.6 was effortless. The amount of options in the BIOS is overwhelming to say the least.

I went with the i5-750 over the i7-860 and i7-920 because I don't really feel that hyperthreading helps me (obviously, a different type of user might benefit) and I don't see myself with a multi-GPU setup. Had either of those applied to me, I probably would have gone with an i7-920.

Getting a suitable cooler was a chore for me because very few coolers support the 1156 socket currently. I had to spend $16 with CoolerMaster on their online store to get an 1156 bracket just so I could use the heatsink I wanted (CM Hyper N520... I was space limited) Pain in the butt? For sure! But it is a very secure mounting system.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Right on, the boards are crazy expensive--but I strongly believe that a cheap board limits your system not only in peripherals but in performance and system life as well.

I am using a rather big case, so I am not concerned with space--and as you said multi GPU is really not something I intend to use. Although, I would like to know if anyone has used the i5 and GTX 295 (since it is a dual gpu on the card) and what issues if any they ran into.

I am going i5 for the same reason, Rodney--I wont really benefit much from the hyperthreading or crazy SLI (unless I get a 295, which is internally SLI).

When did you build your machine, Rodney? I'm wondering if finding a proper cooler may be a bit easier now? Hope so! Thanks