Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Ive got a 120 GB Corsair SSD and a 1.5 TB Seagate HDD. Id like to load windows onto the SSD but call the HDD my "C". When I loaded windows 7 onto my SSD it automatically labeled it "C". Can I change this?

U could, but windows keeps it as default reference for installations processes and everything else including BIOS.

If you have a bios that supports booting from multi HD's you can install Windos on a different HDD.

I don't think its good idea - anyway, whats your reason?

Matt214

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I want windows to boot from the SSD, but its only 120GB so I dont want EVERYTHING on there. As im sure you know, many programs choose the C drive as their default install path and some wont even give you an option to change. This is why I want my 1.5 TB HDD to be the default "C" and have windows boot from the SSD.

I want my 1.5 TB HDD to be the default "C" and have windows boot from the SSD.

There is no need to forced it.

Some programs "must install" to C, but most 99% will install anywhere. I have it like that.

Large games,office put on HDD and small on SSD. Or buy for$100 small Vertex2 60GB and put even more on SSD.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

Yes and no. I've read that an SSD needs to maintain about 20% free so it can apply its algorythms for wear leveling and so forth, but it will probably be about the same speed whether it is 10% full or 80% full.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

Are you saying it is OK to fill the drive beyond 80%? I think I understand the reason for limiting it to 80% capacity and I also understand what you are saying. I don't know for what kind of user it makes a difference. I built one machine for our office a couple of years ago and used an SSD as the boot drive as an experiment. At the time I could only afford a 64GB drive. The guy using it keeps it pretty full and it still seems to run fine. It is old enough now that if it fails we would just buy a bigger drive for it.

I think this is true. In fact it seems that many manufacturers, particularly OCZ, fail in the first couple of weeks.

Hi,

cadder, most SSD's have larger size than posted on the box, to compensate for wear level.

If u have full SSD of data, it does not mean u are overwriting them, something like full erase daily. If it is just sitting there, no real damage is done.