usspacelabs

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
This shouldn't hurt Nvidia as a business as long as Fermi can deliver performance higher than the 5800 series. As it is the 5700 series are nothing special. The 5800 series are nice.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I don't think it matters how fast Fermi is... it has to be reasonably cheap to produce (because apparently the ATI chips are if they were initially selling 5850s for $259) and that means Nvidia needs healthy yields... and on top of all of that, they still have power consumption to worry about and the fact that ATI probably is already drawing up plans for a replacement for the 5800/5900 series. The longer this drags out the more it makes me think of Larrabee. Intel promised us a GPU that would be competitive with 2009 era GPUs... well, who cares about that if they release it in 2011? In this industry it's all about hitting a moving target... your target NEVER stands still.

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
This even more so makes me think of when the best time to buy a Video Card is. Right when it comes out? or when it's really cheap but still useful.

If ATI can increase the amount of 5xxx they can ship out currently then they'll have such a big lead. Probably have more models out by the time Fermi comes around.

Even if Fermi totally blows the performance of 5xxx out of the water. What I'm really looking at is price. I like Nvidia for their performance but I'm quite cheap and like to get a lot for what I pay for. Same thing goes for Intel Vs. AMD.

Going to be quite an interesting year 2010.