• between 2 years and 4 years

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • older than 4 years

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I don't understand what you need our votes for, but alright.

My computer is going to turn 2 within a few days, and I'm upgrading him every once in a while (buying and installing new parts).

jjyu2000

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I'd like to gauge how often people upgrade their PC. I have been thinking of building a new one since the one I am using was built in early 2003. However, the "OLD" one is working fine unless I run multiple video or IO intensive programs concurrently.

The vote would give me some idea what to expect when I build a new one.

Thanks.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
As most people will tell you, they do "complete" rebuilds every X years and "updates" every X months/1 year.

For the pcs I advise (my personal and friend's pcs), I seem to be in the habit of new complete rebuilds every ~2-3 years (major processor revisions) with a ram "max out" after 1 year, and new or "upgrade to SLI/Crossfire" every year.

My recent personal history:

1. AMD Thunderbird / GeForce 2 Ti (Geforce 6800)
2. "One of last" Pentium 4 / Radeon x600 (No video upgrades on this one, as system 3 was built 2 years after this one due to this system's use of AGP vs. PCI-E)
3. Core 2 Duo / Geforce 8600 GT (2nd 8600 GT, 9800 GT w/ single 8600 GT PhysX)

However, due to using a slowly failing Nvidia MB in system 3, it will not be getting another graphics upgrade. I am pricing for a "major rebuild" (keeping Sata drives, disk drives, case, and ... until video/ram upgrade 1... the PSU) for mid-next year. (Following, hopefully, Nvidia's next release of cards.)

jjyu2000

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Well, I have been thinking about it for a while, 2 years? I haven't done anything because mine is still working fine. It comes down to what you use the PC for. I use it to surf, sometimes do some coding (c++), or use CS3 for JPG editing. Occasionally I watch DVD on it.

If I use it for ONE task at a time, it's not that slow. I can forgive the aging when comparing the price tag of speed improvement and 10-20 minutes longer when compiling some big programs.

That is why I dont understand the needs of upgrading < 4 years. On the other hand, I need to have a realistic expectation on the next build, this is why I put out this poll.

There are lots of Pentium 4s with Windows XP still running.

Last week I just took an old business system Acer P4 2.8GHz, installed it into an Antec 300 illusion case and threw in my 9800 GTX+ graphics card to make a gaming PC for my son (put a 5770 in my computer to replace the 9800).

Cades

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Getting ready to replace my Pentium D desktop that died 2 years ago and have been traveling alot since and move in the middle of January so a new one will be built, putting parts together and researching alot myself :D

Gonna upgrade that pc with i5 750 and give it to the gf.

First laptop I had lasted 4-5 years and the one I have now is 2 years old.

I primarily use laptops these days....one just past 3 years .... one just passed 16 months .... besides those, there's another 9 at home / home office and about 25 at the office. The home office server is an NT4 box running 24/7 since 1998 ... has had two HD replacements and a CPU upgrade.

l_r_c_t

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I don't understand how do you do all of the things that you mentioned in a computer that can handle one process each time.

By the way, hasn't your HDD already out of room, or that you are using an external one?

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I do upgrades as needed. Like if I run out of HDD space, I add another one. I also add RAM since it seems older computers add more bootup stuff over time and need more RAM. I know I can clean this stuff up, by my kids install all kinds of crap and I'm never 100% sure what's important.

When I want or need an upgrade that requires a new MB, that's when I get a whole new system and give my old one to the kids. Usually a new system every 2-3 years.

Laptops are a different story. I don't upgrade them and replace them maybe every 6 years. We use ours to surf the net mainly. My older kids have their own laptops to help with homework.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008

My friend's pc, ordered 3 months after mine from HP/Compaq (this was before I began researching/building them on my own... I only knew enough to be in trouble then) is lucky enough to a have a PCI-E x16 slot. Thus, he has had the capability to do as you described, and we installed my "former" 2nd 8600 GT in the system as a free upgrade to his Radeon x600. (No PSU upgrade required since the 8600 GT didn't need a PCI-E power connector.)

He still uses the machine as his gaming rig for "older games" (Oblivion, etc.). But, I built him a i7 920, 6 GB DDR3 (3x2 GB, upgrade to 12 GB later), and 2X Crossfire'd 4870 1 GB system ~ 3 months ago that he uses as his primary now. Whenever he gets tired of the older system, I have already told him that I want it.

That way, I can setup a Windows 98 sub-network for games that can't operate on Win XP and later networks (Master of Orion 2), and where I'll have 3 total computers that have an actual MS-Dos underlay. (On top of my P4 system and my hopeful inheritence of my friend's machine, I did something similar to you and purchased a former business P3 desktop system about a year ago. I haven't moved it into a new case yet, however.)