Cannot reinstall/reformat xp???

runner56

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hi all
I'm new to the forum and am based in Bristol UK...I have a little problem with xp...I hope you can help :??:
When I try to reformat my hard drive with windows xp, my computer refuses to boot from my cd rom ( it is set as the first boot option ) I have also replaced my cd rom drive but the problem still exists? Can you help? I of course have already put my copy of xp in the cd rom :D

Try resetting CMOS - Easiest way is to remove, then reseat the CMOS battery.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

runner56

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
just reset the cmos but still the computer will not boot from cd...When I start up and hit the "boot from cd" option when it appears on screen I can hear the cd start to "whirl" and kick into gear...but that's it...windows just loads normally again..it's really strange and annoying as I cannot reformat and reinstall until I can sort this prob :(

Check in F2 Setup - Something must be incorrect with the configuration.

F2 setup - Use pfkey to reset to default

runner56

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
the problem was solved by removing my keyboard (which used a usb port) and reverting back to my old keyboard which use the old fashioned and certainly not really slower "round pin" socket....and hey presto it works everytime...why should that be?? glad I solved it...myself :))

Glad you solved it on your own. "Who wadda thunk" ?