Okrap

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I'd like to get it in november

BUDGET RANGE: ~1500$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Photoshop and usual stuff.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, HDD, CD / DVD Burners & Media.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada (Quebec, Montreal)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'd like to get a nVidia for my video card because I had alot of problem with my AH3650. But if ATi is really better, I'll get the ATi.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'd like to play the latest games at high graphic (GTA IV) and should I get Windows 7?

Thank you for your time and anwsers! (Sorry for my poor english)

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Another place you should look for parts is pccyber.ca. They've recently opened a new store in Montreal and have prices comparable to newegg (and then slightly cheaper when shipping is applied).

As for a build:

Intel i5 $219.99

GIGABYTE UD4P motherboard $189.99

XFX HD 5850 (best card for the money right now as it includes DX11 as well as is comparable to the GTX 285) $294.77 (newegg doesn't seem to have it available...)

Case: This is mostly personal preference, but go with something that has good airflow like the Antec 900 or CoolerMaster HAF 922

G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM $93.99

Corsair 550VX $98.99 (more will be needed if you want to go XFire)

Thermaltake HSF $34.99

Windows 7 pro-64 bit $154.99

Arctic Silver thermal paste (I can't seem to find it anywhere on Newegg 'cause I'm a failure of sorts, but it's around $10)

That comes to about $1247.70 which gives you room to play around with things, like going XFire, getting extra storage space, and even getting a full tower case. Which HDD do you have? It might be worth it to get a better one if yours isn't all that fast.

Okrap

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Thanks again for your time!

You really should upgrade those old IDE HDDs to a new SATA 3GB like the samsung F3. Those old HDDs will cripple your new system.

At 1680x1050, I dont think there is enough benefit to the speed of the 5870 to justify the price (your monitor only redraws 60FPS, you cant see the difference between 100FPS out of a 5850 or 150FPS on a 5870). If price isnt a problem, or if you may move up to a 1920x1200 or large 2560x1600 monitor then a 5870 could be worthwhile.

GTA4 is a CPU intensive game. You might want to go for an i7-920 CPU/ x58 motherboard system. The ASROCK x58 extreme is the most cost effective motherboard for that system.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I don't see any reason why you'd regret getting the i5. The only benefit of the i7 is the hyperthreading. There is also an added benefit of i7 LGA 1366 because when Golftown comes out (Intel's 6 core chip) it will be on the 1366, but if this is primarily a gaming rig I don't see any current use for the HT or 6 cores.

You could go for the 5870, but if you did I would suggest not going XFire on a P55 motherboard as it will cause more serious bottlenecks (due to the x8 limitation on dual GPU). The bottleneck still exists with the 5850, but you'll only really notice it if you need the highest benchmarks.

As for the HDDs you have, you can only actually use one of them since motherboards today only have one IDE port, and...IDE sucks, don't use it. We have SATA now which is wonderful. If you want to use one of those drives for storage, I guess that could work, but look into the Samsung F3 Spinpoint for a boot drive.

CPU coolers to look at
Coolermaster Hyper 212

Xigmatek S1283 Rifle Cooler series (comes in different models also called Dark Knight, Red Scorpion and Balder). May need extra mounting hardware, depends on model.

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer