IS my PSU bad or my Motherboard(p5Q Deluxe)

G

hi

When i start my pc the sound from psu is normal exactly like my old pc.
but when i enter windows 7 or sometimes it starts when i start something (program or games ) i get a low "screeching" sound that is continuous and sometimes this sound stops. but now when i am writing this i can hear this low sound it is obvious when i put my ear against the case.

I don't know if it has always been like this.

could it be someting wrong with psu . i asked my dad and brother if they could hear it but tey couldn't. i low but i can hear it.

G

i am 100% sure that it from psu. as i am writing now i don't hera the sound. i was hearing it and then i started gta4 and sound i gone and but i am sure it will return.
the sound comes and goes .

G

doen't anyone know .
i left my pc powered on during the night and now sound i gone but i think i will return

Or use a long screwdriver as a probe and put your ear against the handle.

G

okey but i could hear that i was from psu before i will do what you have said when i comes back.

1Q if psu is bad then it will do the noise all the time it won't stop right??

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
my money is on a bad fan bearing, if its coming from the PSU. could also be a transformer going bad, but chances are if it were a transformer going bad it would always make the noise under load. noise from a bad fan bearing can come and go as it pleases, especially if its some kind of temp. sensing unit

G

i will strees my cpu with everest and see if it makes the sound alla the time

G

Voltage (everest ultimate) under stress
+12V maximum 11,93 minimum 11,87 average 11,90

G

Hi

My psu i doing that low sound now and then i thought i would stess cpu with everest . and when i pressed start buttom the sound was gone and then i stopped it sound is back. It can't be the fan right it must be a component in the psu that is going bad am I right?

G

Okey but i am just wondering if it is going to die soon or not. Is this a sign that it will soon be dead.
What kind of singnal do psu give when they are going to die.
i want to know because i have installed new cpu, motherboard and memmory and i don't want then to be damaged

surajalok

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Is my PSU Quality PSU it is from HKC(http://www.hkc-power.com/index.html)
when i bought it it costed me 650 Sek (82 dollars ) it is one year old.

Since I can find absolutely no information, I can't say. If you want to take a clear picture of the label and post it, I might be able to deduct something from that.

It's definite though that it's not a common or recognized brand and is unlikely to be good.

I had seen that. The brand's claims mean very little. I can tell you that the balancing of the rails indicate a very old, inefficient design.
Modern PSUs have the majority of the amps available on the 12V rail, not the 5V.

We still don't know anything like who actually made the PSU or what the internals look like.