Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cant unlock 4 cores?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 28, 2012 11:31:53 PM

Hi

i cant unlock the 3rd and 4th core on my AMD Phenom II X2 565 CPU at 3.40 ghz.
my motherboard is an asus M4A88T-M, with a core unlocker. and whenever it boots up it says press 4 to activate core unlocker, and whenever i press it windows fails to boot up. i was just wondering why this is happening. my psu is 430w if that helps.

any help would be appreciated
thanks. :bounce:  :bounce: 

More about : unlock cores

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2012 11:56:34 PM

It may be that one or both of the cores you are trying to unlock are unstable.

Do you have the option to try and unlock individual cores?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:02:33 AM

Without some fiddling about its hard to define but it does seem like your cores were defective which is why they were locked up
Moto
m
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 12:09:28 AM

Z1NONLY said:
It may be that one or both of the cores you are trying to unlock are unstable.

Do you have the option to try and unlock individual cores?

yes if i go into the bios the options for advanced clock configuration are: disabled, auto, per core, and all cores
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:21:21 AM

If all 4 cores show up in the bios, try to boot with only three of them enabled.

If you are lucky, you will only have one bad core instead of two.

Hopefully you have a way to identify the two that you already know are working and then just try to add a third core.
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:36:58 AM

Z1NONLY said:
If all 4 cores show up in the bios, try to boot with only three of them enabled.

If you are lucky, you will only have one bad core instead of two.

Hopefully you have a way to identify the two that you already know are working and then just try to add a third core.

ok i will try but how do you know that they are defective though?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:50:05 AM

If your computer won't boot with all four cores active, there's a pretty good chance at least one of them is unstable. (maybe two)

Since your computer boots fine in stock, 2-core mode, then those two cores are good. (Or good enough to get the job of booting the computer up done anyway.)
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:57:17 AM

Z1NONLY said:
If your computer won't boot with all four cores active, there's a pretty good chance at least one of them is unstable. (maybe two)

Since your computer boots fine in stock, 2-core mode, then those two cores are good. (Or good enough to get the job of booting the computer up done anyway.)

ok but what would i press in the bios just to use 3 cores?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 1:06:01 AM

If there are 4 cores, 3 of them should read "enable" and one should read "disable" or something like that.

If there is only one bad core, your computer should boot when the bad one is disabled. (after you figure out which one is the bad one with some trial and error)

If you have two bad cores, then your computer will only work with those two cores disables, and your chip probably came from the factory with all the cores you can use. (2)

February 29, 2012 9:32:01 PM

Z1NONLY said:
If there are 4 cores, 3 of them should read "enable" and one should read "disable" or something like that.

If there is only one bad core, your computer should boot when the bad one is disabled. (after you figure out which one is the bad one with some trial and error)

If you have two bad cores, then your computer will only work with those two cores disables, and your chip probably came from the factory with all the cores you can use. (2)

i got it to work and i think i found the problem lol i had unleashing mode on which you have to have on, but it had 5th and 6th enabled so i turned them off and it worked idk if it was a coinsedence or what lol but thanks for your help!
m
l
February 29, 2012 9:32:25 PM

Best answer selected by conman765.
m
l
!