Sign in with
Your question
Solved

200-250$ Water Cooling Help

Last response: in Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:17:43 AM

Well i want to water cool my i5 2500k and eventually the 570 but i dont need that block in this price atm, anyway my case can only fit 240 rads unfortuneately:(  but anyway i was wondering what parts to get i dont know the best brands worst brands, if pump/reservoir combo is good or radiator/reservoir, or any of that i dont know the basics like fittings, radiator, tubing, liquid, pump, resevoir etc. i just need some help with what parts to get. Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : 200 250 water cooling

a c 330 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:28:07 AM

Watercooling sticky is linked in my signature below.
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:30:52 AM

would you recommend the xspc rasa 750 for 129? this way i can buy that and buy the 570 waterblock for my budget..
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 12:57:47 AM

It depends on which one you mean. And if you mean the 240 rad, you are really going to push the limits of that single rad with a CPU+GPU loop. Thus, I stress reading the sticky to understand what you'll need.
m
l

Best solution

February 29, 2012 8:52:33 PM

Well what I suggest is to take a look at the actual power consumption figures of what you want to water cool first.

If memory serves:

TDP of i5 2500k is 95 Watts

TDP of GTX 570 is ~ 215 Watts

So total heat load would be 310 Watts. Now keep in mind that this would be at full load which if it did happen would not happen very frequently. I would say realistically, your actual average heat load would be somewhere around 280 Watts or so while gaming, benching etc., just an educated guess.

I remember when I put my water cooling loop together I looked at some thermal performance charts and I remember seeing that the RX360 from XSPC could handle around 600 Watts with 1850 rpm fans with a 1.5 GPM water flow rate (realistic). Now realistically, the RX240 (assuming you can fit it in your case because it is rather thick) would be able to handle ~2/3 of the heat load of the RX360 with the same conditions because of its reduced length. So for an RX 240, I would say that you could dissipate 400 Watts maximum.

Now this would mean you would have to run fans at 1850 rpm to dissipate 400 Watts. That might be a little loud. But then again you are only realistically trying to get rid of ~300 Watts so you probably wouldn't have to run the fans that high. Where this number will change is if you decide to overclock the CPU.

I would definitely say that you could use an RX240 to water cool you CPU and GPU. The temperture delta between the air and the water in the loop wont be really low but it will work fine. Mind you not any 240 rad will work because the thickness is really important (more surface area = more heat dissipation). I recommend XSPC Rads though because they are cost effective and still perform really well.

Now the key thing for this is to make sure that you have a good pump. The thermal figures I just gave you are for a 1.5 GPM flow rate. Since you only have 2 blocks, you could probably get by with a pump included in a water cooling kit, say the RASA or Raystorm kits from XSPC because there isn't a lot in your loop to slow the water down. Remember that the max flow rate might be something like 3 GPM but when you factor in the blocks you are forcing the water to go through, the flow rate will drop significantly.

My recommendation is to get a water cooling kit. They are relatively low cost and come with everything you need (fittings, tubing, pump/reservoir etc.). There are kits available which do come with an RX240 Radiator. It can get very expensive to put together a custom water cooling loop. Check out dazmode.com for a water cooling kit. He sells many kits with a variety of different options. He is based in Canada though so the shipping will be a little higher if you live in the US or elsewhere.

Now about the liquid, I have found that distilled water is the best as a coolant. It is cheap and it works. Simple as that. The other thing too is that if you do have any leaks (god forbid), no residue or deposits will be left behind because there is nothing dissolved in the water. Your blocks can get gunked up a bit too from premixed coolants.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 9:18:56 PM

^nice work...all discussed information is part of what I put together in the sticky for folks to help figure out what they need. Almost exactly what I would say, word for word.

m
l
February 29, 2012 9:28:49 PM

rubix_1011 said:
^nice work...all discussed information is part of what I put together in the sticky for folks to help figure out what they need. Almost exactly what I would say, word for word.

Well I remember back in November you helped me with my water cooling loop so I thought it would be best to try and help someone else with what I learned. I put about 3 months worth of research in before buying anything.

m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
February 29, 2012 10:55:34 PM

Most people will say it's worth the time and energy they put in before buying any components or piecing anything together. Having a well thought out plan from start to finish is a much better process than rush-buying the first shiny thing you see, only to find other things later you would have purchased instead or gone a different route, altogether.
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:17:31 AM

Best answer selected by traumaiv.
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:27:12 AM

thanks to the both of you that article was a good read and informed me a lot and thank you jonathan as that was really helpful, i have a storm trooper case and from what i understand i can put a top 240 bottom 240 and a 120/140 on the back some place and ive seen a couple pictures of the case water cooled and ive seen ones where they use a 120 on back and 240 on top and a 240 on top and 240 on bottom (2 gpus and cpu)
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:29:46 AM

traumaiv said:
thanks to the both of you that article was a good read and informed me a lot and thank you jonathan as that was really helpful, i have a storm trooper case and from what i understand i can put a top 240 bottom 240 and a 120/140 on the back some place and ive seen a couple pictures of the case water cooled and ive seen ones where they use a 120 on back and 240 on top and a 240 on top and 240 on bottom (2 gpus and cpu)

No problem. Glad to help. I hope it all works out for you. Post some pics when its all done.

Cheers.
m
l
!