Please help.. how to add wireless mini-PCI to Sony Vaio V5..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 11, 2004 6:44:32 PM

I just got my new V505DC1P without the wireless option.
It comes with Pentium M 1.4 GHz and I got intel wireless mini-PCI
2200BG from my friend.
I would like to add this card to my notebook as that there're other
models of this V505 series that come with the exact same wireless
mini-PCI.

Could anyone tell me how to add it in? which part needed to come off
in order? and where exactly the mini-PCI port is located?

Thank you,
- Kanate
June 12, 2004 2:20:43 AM

Kanate <google@kanate.com> wrote:
: I just got my new V505DC1P without the wireless option.
: It comes with Pentium M 1.4 GHz and I got intel wireless mini-PCI
: 2200BG from my friend.
: I would like to add this card to my notebook as that there're other
: models of this V505 series that come with the exact same wireless
: mini-PCI.

: Could anyone tell me how to add it in? which part needed to come off
: in order? and where exactly the mini-PCI port is located?

You might try the Sony Website. Hint: the exact model number is:
PCG-V505DC1P

For a mini-PCI card, your laptop must have an internal antenna already
installed. I would look for tabs to unscrew on the bottom of your
laptop case (my Toshiba has this) and see if you can find one where a
mini-PCI card would plug in, plus you should see two antenna wires
taped nearby. Note, Toshiba sent me a special tool with my mini-PCI
card to connect up the antenna.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b F Wireless

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote in message news:<zcasdhjulau40843032609@bizaveMYSHOES.com>...
> Kanate <google@kanate.com> wrote:
> : I just got my new V505DC1P without the wireless option.
> : It comes with Pentium M 1.4 GHz and I got intel wireless mini-PCI
> : 2200BG from my friend.
> : I would like to add this card to my notebook as that there're other
> : models of this V505 series that come with the exact same wireless
> : mini-PCI.
>
> : Could anyone tell me how to add it in? which part needed to come off
> : in order? and where exactly the mini-PCI port is located?
>
> You might try the Sony Website. Hint: the exact model number is:
> PCG-V505DC1P
>
> For a mini-PCI card, your laptop must have an internal antenna already
> installed. I would look for tabs to unscrew on the bottom of your
> laptop case (my Toshiba has this) and see if you can find one where a
> mini-PCI card would plug in, plus you should see two antenna wires
> taped nearby. Note, Toshiba sent me a special tool with my mini-PCI
> card to connect up the antenna.
>
> Andrew

I finally be able to add the card to my notebook. However the intel
PROSet software reports that my Hardware radio switch is "OFF".

There's no wireless switch on the outside of my unit like the one that
originally comes with wireless option.

How can I set the switch to "ON?

Thank you,
- Kanate