Transfer Hard Drive

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2011 3:43:15 PM

Hey,

I have a computer which is 1 year old and the main computer, and I have a hard drive from an old computer which broke - although the hard drive and files are intact. Would it possible for me to transfer the hard drive from that to the new computer (they're both Dells), I don't mind formatting the old hard drive (it has XP on it at the moment). Also would it be possible to stick another OS e.g. Ubuntu or Windows 8 Developer preview on it and dual boot.

Thanks

More about : transfer hard drive

a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 4:01:31 PM

It's not possible to move a functioning boot drive from one MB to another without re-installing the OS. Having said that, it's then also recommended to re-format the HDD which will destroy all data. My suggestion would be to use a different HDD as a boot drive and the old one as a second drive so that you can migrate programs & data from one to the other at your leisure.
September 16, 2011 4:04:09 PM

So... if I install the hard drive from the old computer and select the first drive as the boot drive, then transfer any files - I don't think I need to though. Next, reinstall/format the old drive - if I got that right?
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 4:57:13 PM

It is not necessary to format the old drive unless you want to install a different OS on it. You can connect it, make sure the computer is booting from the proper hard drive, and then you can access the second drive for storage. Once you have retrieved your files from it you can do whatever you want to with it including formatting and installing a different OS.
September 16, 2011 5:03:16 PM

I see, Thank You. Just checking I can change the boot hard drive from the bios right?
a c 392 G Storage
September 16, 2011 5:46:20 PM

Yes, you can choose the boot order and boot device from the bios. As a warning, I wouldn't try to dual boot Windows 8 preview. You may have problems with the boot loader if you try removing windows 8 later. It would be safer to run Win8 in a VM.
September 16, 2011 9:48:41 PM

Hey, thanks from all the advice; although. i installed windows 8 preview as I hadn't read this - is that going to be a problem.
a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 10:15:22 PM

cadder said:
It is not necessary to format the old drive unless you want to install a different OS on it. You can connect it, make sure the computer is booting from the proper hard drive, and then you can access the second drive for storage. Once you have retrieved your files from it you can do whatever you want to with it including formatting and installing a different OS.

I beg to differ with you. It's my understanding the OP wants to move a boot drive from one computer to another. He doesn't say so but my assumption is that the two computers involved have different MBs. In that case he must re-install the OS and should re-format the HDD, losing all data. If the MBs are identical it may be possible to simply move the HDD without re-formatting or re-installing the OS but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
September 16, 2011 10:49:06 PM

Thanks for the advice again.... But, I got rid of the preview after playing around with it for a few hours. Just downloaded EasyBCD and removed it from the startup list and then formatted the drive because I wanted a blank drive.
a b G Storage
September 18, 2011 3:41:59 AM

ram1009 said:
I beg to differ with you. It's my understanding the OP wants to move a boot drive from one computer to another.

When I first read the original post I thought he was adding the drive from an old computer to another computer already containing a boot drive. My answer should be correct for putting 2 drives in the same computer, your answer should be correct if he is only going to have one drive in the resulting computer.
a c 392 G Storage
September 19, 2011 12:00:50 PM

someone57 said:
Thanks for the advice again.... But, I got rid of the preview after playing around with it for a few hours. Just downloaded EasyBCD and removed it from the startup list and then formatted the drive because I wanted a blank drive.

Great! Glad to see easyBCD could fix the boot menu. That was one of my concerns.
!