Sign in with
Your question

Partitioning an SSD, is it really bad?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 4:18:57 PM

Im planing on dual booting XP and Vista on the same SSD. but I heard that partiionoing SSD is not a good thing. Why is that? I would like to know more info about it.

More about : partitioning ssd bad

a c 119 G Storage
September 16, 2011 6:06:58 PM

I havn't heard that and as a matter of fact they say that if you partition your SSD with a 100mb size Windows will use it for system reserve and help make the Pc over all faster. The only thing I can think of that they are saying would be bad for it is that most SSD'S are raid setups and the thing is that unless you get a really large SSD then you are writing data on those flash cells that have a life span that is shorter than a regular HDD. I guess you have to come across someone who has tried it. On a side note why would you want Vista , it might just be the worst OS has put out I saw one review that rated it below win. Me and now that is bad.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
September 16, 2011 6:55:56 PM

^+1...

XP and SSDs are not truly the best combination, as the OS is not designed or optimized for one. Vista isn't the greatest either but it will at least allow TRIM support. I don't believe XP supports TRIM. Granted a SSDs garbage collection will work independently without TRIM but not as efficient.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 8:32:45 PM

Well, as long as it works, Im fine with it, I simply want a better speed than a IDE hard drive for loading windows XP.

By the way, I like Vista, and I could point several improvments that make XP impossible to use after working it, but I dont believe thats the rght topic for it. For now, let me just say that I have some specific applications that will only run on Vista, as well as some that will only run on XP, and I need both OS
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
September 16, 2011 8:49:03 PM

There's no point in partitioning an SSD if the reason you're doing it is to somehow try to avoid fragmentation or improve performance (they way you can by short-stroking a hard drive).

But if you have a logistical need for two partitions, as in your example of a dual-boot system, then there's no reason whatsoever not to partition it. Just be sure that you partition it using a tool that will create the partitions on 64K sector boundaries so that you don't end up with poor performance. In practical terms that means partitioning it using the Vista or Windows 7 install programs, not the XP one.

Also be aware that neither XP nor Vista will issue TRIM commands to the drive, which means that performance may slowly degrade over time unless you have some sort of utility you can run manually to tell the SSD which sectors are free.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 16, 2011 9:04:21 PM

Yes, I want to dual-boot them, so Im partitioning. I happen to own 2 SSDs, the Intel X-25 80GB and the OCZ vertex Plus 120GB. Would a particular one be better than the other regarding garbage collections? The spare drive is going to my notebook.

Honestly I dont care wich goes where in terms of capacity, as 80GB is more than enough for both my desktop or my notebook. (I have a 1TB hdd on the deskto as well)

BTW, just wondering.....would perhaps be better to install both SSDs on my desktop and dual boot by having each OS on a diferent drive?
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:19:26 PM

I think Vista will end up killing your SSD.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
September 16, 2011 10:43:05 PM

leandrodafontoura said:
BTW, just wondering.....would perhaps be better to install both SSDs on my desktop and dual boot by having each OS on a diferent drive?
If I had two SSDs, didn't need to use them for anything else and wanted to set up a dual-boot system, then I think I'd install each OS on its own drive. If nothing else, it would make it easier to get rid of one of them later on if you decide to.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 17, 2011 1:57:27 AM

Yeah, but that means getting a 3rd one for my notebook...I would only do this if it had an incredible advatage in doing so. Im gonna partition...

Vista can kill any computer....its Windows after all, now stop trolling
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
September 17, 2011 2:56:47 AM

You would would be better served by buying two smaller SSDs. Only connect One SSD load XP, or Vista. Then Disconnect That SSD and connect the 2nd on and install the 2nd operating syste,
During post hit the Key that brings up the boot menu and select which SSD to boot from. IE my Gigabyte MB uses F12 and My Asrock MB use F11. This does not change boot Priority. This does NOT use a software Boot manager that allows problems on One Operqating system to hose the other operating system. Also if you crash on operating system to the point of having to do a secure erease, you only have to reload ONE operating system.

m
l
!