Question regarding dell motherboards - Time Sensative

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I am currently working on my first build, but as it stands I have not looked into upgrading my motherboard. As a temporary measure, will the stock motherboard from an inspiron 546 fit the antec 900 two case or is it a proprietary shape? It will be my next upgrade, but due to funds, it is probably several months away.

Edit: I need the answer by the end of Sunday, April 25th or the question is moot.

Solution
Yes mATX will fit in an Antec 900. I doubt the motherboard plug would be different, it is rectangular with 24 holes, rather long and narrow, look at a motherboard picture to get a better idea.

I had a quick search and found this thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19323387.aspx

That seems to show that the motherboard is standard as the guy dosen't say otherwise.

It is cleary all a bit hazy but I'd put my money on that you can use it. Just check the motherboard plug too make sure thats fine. Clear details on OEM computers seems to be hard to find.

Thanks.

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks for the help, I had tried googling it, but like you, I was never sure of the results.

My motherboard is the 0F896N that they were dicussing. Apperently is is micro-atx. This will fit the antec 900 Two case correct? Also, is the power plug proprietary? I can open my case to check. What is the standar shape for a motherboard power connector?

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Yes mATX will fit in an Antec 900. I doubt the motherboard plug would be different, it is rectangular with 24 holes, rather long and narrow, look at a motherboard picture to get a better idea.

I had a quick search and found this thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19323387.aspx

That seems to show that the motherboard is standard as the guy dosen't say otherwise.

It is cleary all a bit hazy but I'd put my money on that you can use it. Just check the motherboard plug too make sure thats fine. Clear details on OEM computers seems to be hard to find.

Thanks.

Solution

raffiy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I opened the case about 5 minutes ago and I saw a white 24 pin rectangular plug on the uppper right side, so I think I am good to go.

Wish me luck on my first build and thanks for all the help.