How to keep motherboard from frying while building

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I am putting my computer in a new case (to keep it cooler) how to i keep from frying my mother i missed a screw header thing to screw the screws in to hold the motherboard in place (hope you know what i mean) and i didnt see it and i screwed it in and it made contact with my ram slot and i fryed my motherboard ( do you think my ram is ok?) i just want to keep from frying my new motherboard because im going insane not playing some pc games. and is there a way where i can mark where the screws are placed so i can screw them in right on the case/motherboard? Thanks again

Solution
If I am interpreting you correctly, you put a brass MoBo standoff in the wrong spot and where it made contact, it caused a short and fried the thing.

Try this after RTFM'ing:

1. The holes in the MoBo near the edges are easy to line up. Put standoffs in the MoBo tray holes where you are sure they go. Count them.

2. Place your MoBo in place and make sure you see all of the standoffs thru the holes....count them and make sure. See step 1....number should be same :)

3. Remove MoBo and place yellow "post its" over the holes on your MoBo tray. Put your MoBo back in place and, using a pencil, trace the holes in your MoBo onto the post it's below. Then stick standoffs where the pencil marks were.

4. Check the MoBo manual again, it...

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
i screwed in the motherboard and put everything together and then i plugged it in i didnt know there was a empty screw header thing underneath my motherboard and when i did plug it in and turned it on it fryed it i didnt know at the time i kept turning it on trying to figure out what was wrong with it then i finally took it into a shop and the person told me i fryed my motherboard everything seems to work like the cpu and the new video card that i got. i just hope i didnt fry my ram because thats where the connection was made underneath the ram slot so i hope my ramisnt fried because ddr2 ram is expensive. hope you understand it lol

If I am interpreting you correctly, you put a brass MoBo standoff in the wrong spot and where it made contact, it caused a short and fried the thing.

Try this after RTFM'ing:

1. The holes in the MoBo near the edges are easy to line up. Put standoffs in the MoBo tray holes where you are sure they go. Count them.

2. Place your MoBo in place and make sure you see all of the standoffs thru the holes....count them and make sure. See step 1....number should be same :)

3. Remove MoBo and place yellow "post its" over the holes on your MoBo tray. Put your MoBo back in place and, using a pencil, trace the holes in your MoBo onto the post it's below. Then stick standoffs where the pencil marks were.

4. Check the MoBo manual again, it will show you where all the holes are. Count the number on the picture in the manual ....make sure you have that many standoffs installed....no more, no less.

5. Place MoBo back in place and make sure that you can see a standoff at every MoBo hole.

6. I usually put the 1st screw in the corner which is opposite ("catty corner") the one near the inputs panel (place where you plug stuff in). IOW, panel is usually in upper right, so I put 1st screw in lower right. Don't tighten iny screws until all screws are in and turning fresly.

Solution

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Yes thats exactly what i was meaning thanks for the tips. Sorry i was so hard to understand im not a very tech person but i like to build ocmputers and learn as i build them. Thanks