Solved

Which WD Caviar Black Model Number(s) preferred for Gaming Build?

Which WD Caviar "Black" Model Number(s) are the preferred HDD's for Gaming Build?
-- I need some guidance.

After reading about various "gaming builds" on THG, and seeing Western Digital Caviar 'Black' mentioned quite often, I decided to purchase one. However, when I went to Western Digital's web site to look at their list of "500GB WD Caviar Black" drives, I saw they had nearly 20 of them! Although they stated '500GB' on each, the prices on their list included some that were nearly $1,500.00, or more! One of them had its weight listed as 33.3 POUNDS! I have no idea why. The web site offered no descriptions that explained the reason for the huge prices. I'm a real novice at shopping for a new drive.

With too many choices (and, without being able to understand what the heck the differences were between the drives they listed), I came here for some "real" explanations.

I want to buy the "best" model available, as far as quality, speed (seek/access, etc.), dependability, warranty, etc. It can be either a 500GB, 650GB?/750GB?, or 1.5GB.

I'm looking for specific WD MODEL NUMBERS (for the one/s Tom's Hardware builders recommend for gaming), so that I can then read more about the drives, find best low price, etc.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which caviar black model number preferred gaming build
  1. Where are you buying from, so we can review your available options for purchase?

I'm actually a bigger support of the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive, which can typically be purchase at the same price of the 500GB Blacks with better performance.
  2. Thanks, tecmo34. I normally buy from TigerDirect.com, but will also buy from Newegg.com. I never buy from Amazon!
  3. The Black, Seagate 7200.12 and Spinpoint 7200.12 all do well in certain area w/ no overall winner. Look at these and pick which one does best in your specific applications.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/compare,1015.html?prod[2371]=on&prod[3016]=on&prod[2365]=on
  4. Best answer
  5. JackYaylorPE... I get nothing at that link except the word "Compare," and a dialog box about HTML, etc. No other info about hard drives. ???
  6. tecmo34 said:
    My recommendation: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6448061

WD Black: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7288041&CatId=2459 (don't worry if your motherboard isn't SATA III capable, as it will run fine on SATA II)

I'm going to mark this as the 'Best Answer,' even though it isn't what I sought to find originally. Everybody seemed to want to steer me towards buying other brands (their own preferences) instead of the brand I said I wanted. I'm sure the intentions were good, but I tried to make my choice clear in my original topic so that there wouldn't be any side-tracking to the topic.

I was also hoping to get just a simple 'list' of only the Model Numbers of each size of the WD drives that Tom's Hardware's "Build-Your-Own" contest "recommended." I couldn't find that info. From such a list, I could easily do the shopping without fearing that I bought the wrong Model.

I went ahead and ordered the Western Digital Caviar "Black" 500GB SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Internal Desktop HDD.
    Model Number: WD5002AALX

Thank you, techmo34, for mentioning what you did about the SATA II/III capability. That's very good to know!

One of these days soon, I'm hoping to start another topic to ask about an ASUS Motherboard. The MB I need must meet my certain req's. I know which CPU I want, but the specific RAM type is still an open issue for me.

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind suggestions and advice!
  7. Best answer selected by Kreelor.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Build Gaming Storage Product