Two Phones - Same Number?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 6, 2005 7:32:07 PM

I recently got a Blackberry from work and have had the phone activated
so that during the week, I only have to carry one device. However on
weekends, I would like to just carry a small cell phone. Can I get a
GSM phone set to the same number as my Blackberry cellphone. I would
only use and turn on one or the the other?

TIA,
Marc

More about : phones number

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:32:08 PM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:32:07 GMT, marc cooper <mvcooper@verizon.net>
wrote:

>I recently got a Blackberry from work and have had the phone activated
>so that during the week, I only have to carry one device. However on
>weekends, I would like to just carry a small cell phone. Can I get a
>GSM phone set to the same number as my Blackberry cellphone. I would
>only use and turn on one or the the other?

No, however you can remove the sim card from one and put it in the
other.
March 6, 2005 8:43:07 PM

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:32:07 GMT, marc cooper <mvcooper@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I recently got a Blackberry from work and have had the phone activated
>>so that during the week, I only have to carry one device. However on
>>weekends, I would like to just carry a small cell phone. Can I get a
>>GSM phone set to the same number as my Blackberry cellphone. I would
>>only use and turn on one or the the other?
>

> No, however you can remove the sim card from one and put it in the
> other.
Thanks. What do I look for when trying to buy a used phone that will
allow me to insert my SIM card. Is this what people mean when they say
"unlocked" ?
March 6, 2005 8:43:08 PM

marc cooper wrote:
> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:32:07 GMT, marc cooper <mvcooper@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently got a Blackberry from work and have had the phone
>>> activated so that during the week, I only have to carry one device.
>>> However on weekends, I would like to just carry a small cell phone.
>>> Can I get a GSM phone set to the same number as my Blackberry
>>> cellphone. I would only use and turn on one or the the other?
>>
>> No, however you can remove the sim card from one and put it in the
>> other.
> Thanks. What do I look for when trying to buy a used phone that will
> allow me to insert my SIM card. Is this what people mean when they
> say "unlocked" ?

"Unlocked" means the GSM phone will accept the SIM of any provider. I
had a locked ATTWS branded NEC 525 unlocked, and it accepts my Cingular
SIM now. You could also use a locked to Cingular branded phone.

Just note that the SIM can hold up to 250 names and numbers, and carry
them between phones for you. The phone number stays with the SIM. You
may need to selectly copy from the Blackberry phone memory, to the SIM
memory, if you have more.

John C.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:18:32 AM

You can just take the SIM card out of your blackberry and put it into any
cingular phone and you will have the same number you are using. It is ilegal
to duplacate a phone number.
"marc cooper" <mvcooper@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I recently got a Blackberry from work and have had the phone activated so
>that during the week, I only have to carry one device. However on
>weekends, I would like to just carry a small cell phone. Can I get a GSM
>phone set to the same number as my Blackberry cellphone. I would only use
>and turn on one or the the other?
>
> TIA,
> Marc
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:43:03 AM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:43:07 GMT, marc cooper <mvcooper@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Thanks. What do I look for when trying to buy a used phone that will
>allow me to insert my SIM card. Is this what people mean when they say
>"unlocked" ?

Either look for a unlocked phone, or a phone branded to Cingular
already. If you buy a Cingular phone, it will work on the Cingular
network, however if you buy another GSM phone from another carrier, it
will need to be unlocked.
March 8, 2005 8:56:28 AM

Thanks....are Cingular and AT&T phones interchangable?

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:43:07 GMT, marc cooper <mvcooper@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Thanks. What do I look for when trying to buy a used phone that will
>>allow me to insert my SIM card. Is this what people mean when they say
>>"unlocked" ?
>

> Either look for a unlocked phone, or a phone branded to Cingular
> already. If you buy a Cingular phone, it will work on the Cingular
> network, however if you buy another GSM phone from another carrier, it
> will need to be unlocked.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:38:37 PM

> Thanks....are Cingular and AT&T phones interchangable?

No, they are not. As stated before, ONLY a Cingular or unlocked phone will
work.

bamp

!