Abit KG7-RAID Win2k Instalation

vorador

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
I am currently trying to install Windows 2000 on a RAID array using my the HPT 370A chip on my Abit KG7 motherboard. Every time I try to install WIndows 2000 everything goes fine untill it's time for the first boot. A message always appears saying that the system is dumping physical memory and then everything stops.

In adition it says "BAD_POOL_CALLER".

I know other RAID chips have problems installing Win2k on drives bigger than 4 gigabytes. Is that my problem?

Please help me.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vorador on 10/27/01 03:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Why would you install an operating system on a RAID volume? Surely that would lead to a performance decrease due to mirroring or parity of the system files - not to mention the swap file!
It sounds like asking for trouble, my thoughts would be to put the operating system(s) on a separate drive and your critical or large files on the RAID.

vorador

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
I understand your concern, but I have already succesfully installed windows 98 and windows millenium on a raid array and they did work fster than they used. I must specify that I am only using a "raid 0" array.

Anyway, according to a microsoft FAQ the problem is likely caused by my bios, so I am currently investigating in that direction.

vorador

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
Ok. I found the problem and it had nothing to do with my raid array. The simplicity of the problem just goes to show that I am a novice at this stuff and that WIndows 2000 is a lot more sensitive than Windows Millenium and WIndows 98.

The problem was that WIndows 2000 just coudn't configure all the hardware in my system at the same time, so I just emptied all the PCI slots (leaving only the video card and the Drives) and succesfully continued my previous installation. Then I just installed every peripheral one by one.

WIndows 2000 was actually easier to install than windows millenium after that.

I am therefore changing the name of this post to more appropriately fit the problem.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I was just wondering why your name appears in read in the first post...

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>