Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Do I really need to buy another copy of Windows 7?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 7, 2011 11:14:50 PM

I purchased the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium 2 years ago. Since then I have upgraded my computer twice where the CPU/MOBO/Ram were all changed out. Last time I had no problem activating windows but this time I am unable to. It says my activation code has expired. It's not as though Windows 7 is running on any of my past computers as they were all sold off part for part. I've tried the phone activation but when it asks me the question how many computers has the been installed on I originally said 3 and was denied, I then called back twice more and said 1 and 2 and of course was denied.

This is lame, do I really need to buy another product code or do I have another course of action?

Thanks!

More about : buy copy windows

a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 11:54:26 PM

U bought an OEM version, right. Talk to the person and tell them that your mobo had a problem, if it had (why did u replaced it?) Your OEM is not transferable if u change your mobo for example.

Read here as it was answered already
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/22055-63-what-differe...
Score
0
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 11:59:54 PM

Well... yes, assuming what you have is the OEM then you do need to buy another copy. That's why you get a cheaper price on the OEM version - it's not licensed to be transferred from one machine to another. And a new motherboard, assuming its not just a replacement for one that dies, counts as a new machine.
Score
0
October 8, 2011 12:18:44 AM

This is exactly why M$ is full of it.
Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 12:25:05 AM

Hey, if you don't agree with their policies then you're perfectly free to not buy their products.
Score
0
October 8, 2011 12:34:29 AM

It's not OEM, I bought the boxed upgrade version. As I said I already had it work on 2 previous builds.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 12:37:01 AM

theconsolegamer said:
This is exactly why M$ is full of it.

When u are buying something more expensive, don't u do a homework on it?

They actually give u a big break in the price and u don't like it? Than retail would be it for u.

What about manufactures like Dell, Acer, HP ....are they ripping off people too, because u cannot use that modified Windows DVD on anything else too?

My 2 cents. /not defending M$, just the principal.
Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 12:50:39 AM

Was the original OS that you bought the upgrade for an OEM version?
Score
0

Best solution

October 8, 2011 1:16:42 AM

hotlanta22 said:
I purchased the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium 2 years ago. Since then I have upgraded my computer twice where the CPU/MOBO/Ram were all changed out. Last time I had no problem activating windows but this time I am unable to. It says my activation code has expired. It's not as though Windows 7 is running on any of my past computers as they were all sold off part for part. I've tried the phone activation but when it asks me the question how many computers has the been installed on I originally said 3 and was denied, I then called back twice more and said 1 and 2 and of course was denied.

This is lame, do I really need to buy another product code or do I have another course of action?

Thanks!



Did you try answering "zero" to the phone activation question? I did this a while ago and I thought it meant how many other computers is the software intstalled on.
Share
October 8, 2011 1:20:04 AM

First off, you're dealing with an upgrade copy. This means you are installing this overtop of another, previously installed Windows version, which is earlier than 7.

If you are installing this clean, technically this is a new PC and as a result you're really not within the license to reinstall.

If you upgraded the board and the system stopped being registered because of that, here's what you can do:

Call the # they provide, and bypass the automated system to speak with a representative.

Inform the representative that you have upgraded the motherboard on your computer.

Inform the representative you want your copy of windows reactivated.

They'll walk through the process with you.

They're really there to make sure you're not using a pirated windows key.

...
This all assumes you still had the OS installed. I mean, if you're really just installing this copy onto a new machine, there are workarounds to get it to install, and you can just go through that process and reactivate, but you're technically not within the legal bounds of the license if you do so.

Hope this helps.
Score
0
October 8, 2011 2:18:32 AM

nikorr said:
When u are buying something more expensive, don't u do a homework on it?

They actually give u a big break in the price and u don't like it? Than retail would be it for u.

What about manufactures like Dell, Acer, HP ....are they ripping off people too, because u cannot use that modified Windows DVD on anything else too?

My 2 cents. /not defending M$, just the principal.

This is like, if I buy a new motor for my car, the company that made my car demands that I buy a new car because the replaced motor can still be used even if the motor is not going to be used.

Dell, Acer and HP are ripping of people with their incompatibility parts with anything else.

I know what you mean though, but is still bs. No wonder why Bill is so rich.
Score
0
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 2:30:46 AM

The problem is that you're not buying the software. You're buying a license to use the software. The license in question doesn't let you transfer it to another computer, therefore you have to buy another license. If you want to move the license, buy a full retail copy. Then you can move it as many times as you want.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 2:37:55 AM

theconsolegamer said:
This is like, if I buy a new motor for my car, the company that made my car demands that I buy a new car because the replaced motor can still be used even if the motor is not going to be used.

Dell, Acer and HP are ripping of people with their incompatibility parts with anything else.

I know what you mean though, but is still bs. No wonder why Bill is so rich.


Again, it comes down to your own homework.... No one is holding a gun to your head, and pressuring u to buy.

When I was 20 yo, I wasprobably feeling the same way u do.

When I started my small transportation business at 22yo by 23yo I learned, there is no easy way around anything if u don't read the fine print(a license police in this case).
Or it may cost u a bundle and sleepless nights.

"I know what you mean though, but is still bs." I know that u know.

/-Linux is free option : )
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 2:51:10 AM

MS do retain a bit of flexibility for the Home Building Enthusiast. Generally if you ring them up they will activate the software as long as it is only on one machine. However there is less flexibility if the software originally came from a proprietary system such as a Dell or HP. I believe this is because if you have motherboard failure in such a system Dell or HP will almost certainly replace it with an identical board so the need to change type of boards is limited. However MS will certainly retain the right of discretion in these matters. Having said that MS will not want to create a situation where the Enthusiast will not want to use their software.

The way to avoid dramas is actually simple. I always delay activation until I am certain my system is running how I want it. The other thing I do is when I sell on a PC I include the OS in the price and purchase a new license for its replacement. This is win for me and win for MS. I recover the cost through the sale and because I am replacing the licenses I purchase more from MS. All nice and legal and I never end up spending more than what I paid for the original OEM.
Score
0
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 5:20:35 AM

theconsolegamer said:
This is like, if I buy a new motor for my car, the company that made my car demands that I buy a new car because the replaced motor can still be used even if the motor is not going to be used.
No, it's like your company provides you with a car to do your job (you get a deal on transportation since you only have to pay for the gas) and you expect to be able to keep it when you move to a new job. They didn't sell you the car, they gave you the right to use it as long as you worked for them.
Score
0
October 8, 2011 7:24:40 AM

Best answer selected by hotlanta22.
Score
0
October 8, 2011 7:25:29 AM

rherst said:
Did you try answering "zero" to the phone activation question? I did this a while ago and I thought it meant how many other computers is the software intstalled on.



LOL that did it. I just answered zero, very odd.

thanks all.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2011 7:27:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
0
!