Hard drive not being detected

tgeo888

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I have a 500gb seagate drive that recently stopped working. I was in windows and windows just stopped responding as I guess the hard drive had died so after a bit I just force restarted the machine. When I tried to reboot the hard drive was not detected.

Once I took apart my case I realized the hdd wasnt even spinning up when the machine started. No beeps or anything, just dead. I tried as many tricks as I could think of to get it going. I tried gently tapping it and shaking it along the disc's axis to try and relieve any "sticktion". I tried putting it in the freezer overnight and nothing. The only thing I could think was maybe the logic board had gone so I ordered another hdd in the exact same model and switched them out. Now the hard drive spins up but is still not detected.

My next step was to eliminate my home computer as being the problem, since I work in IT I just took the hdd's (the new one with the old one's logic board and the old hdd with the new logic board) to work. My work computer does not recognize either hard drive. The old one (w/ new logic board) still spins up but the new one (w/ old logic board) does not.

I downloaded seatools and the program didnt detect the drive. I looked for both drives in disk management and no dice.

Honestly I am at a loss... I can't really believe that the hard drive would so spectacularly fail like that so that it cannot even be detected.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

When a hdd goes bad it stops working just like that, no warning , I had a WD Velociraptor do the same thing , one day just not working. It happens and if you had really valuable files on it there are places that will recover your files it just a matter how valuable they are to you.

tgeo888

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Well I guess im out of luck then.

It sucks because I had my important files/documents mirrored onto another older drive and just about 3 weeks before this, that older one died. I figured I wouldnt be so unlucky as to have 2 drives die within a month so I put off ordering a new hdd to backup to until I saw a really good deal lol.

A straight board swap rarely, if ever, works on recent model Seagate HDDs.

Instead you will need to transfer your original board's 8-pin serial flash memory chip to your replacement PCB. This chip stores unique, drive specific "adaptive" information. Some board suppliers include a firmware transfer or ROM transfer service for US$10 - $20. Otherwise, if you are not adept at soldering, your local TV/AV repair shop should be able to do it for you.

The flash chip will have a "25" in its part number.

Two board suppliers that offer a transfer service are http://www.hdd-parts.com and http://onepcbsolution.com.