Selective startup problems

Hi there and greetings programs!! :) :)

So my computer, on startup, would take a long time to load, then get stuck on the "firewall if off" page, then finally connect to the internet. So I booted it on Selective Startup and the problem is gone! But I don't know what the problem is and don't want to leave it in selective mode. I tried the startup tab in the system config and unchecked what I didn't need but then it went back to selective startup, not normal startup. Any ideas?

This happened somewhere between installing "bittornado" and "Gimp" drawing program, if that helps.

Three computers, the 2 that had those programs do this, the one that doesn't works great...well as great as a 2002-2004 Pentium M will work!!

Also tried system restore but the last restore point is today! :??: Why is that?

Thanks!!!! :D

Also if this topic is already here, let me know so I can go there!
14 answers Last reply
More about selective startup problems
  1. trekking95 said:
    Hi there and greetings programs!! :) :)

So my computer, on startup, would take a long time to load, then get stuck on the "firewall if off" page, then finally connect to the internet. So I booted it on Selective Startup and the problem is gone! But I don't know what the problem is and don't want to leave it in selective mode. I tried the startup tab in the system config and unchecked what I didn't need but then it went back to selective startup, not normal startup. Any ideas?

This happened somewhere between installing "bittornado" and "Gimp" drawing program, if that helps.

Three computers, the 2 that had those programs do this, the one that doesn't works great...well as great as a 2002-2004 Pentium M will work!!

Also tried system restore but the last restore point is today! :??: Why is that?

Thanks!!!! :D

Also if this topic is already here, let me know so I can go there!

Go back to Msconfig and then click on the "Advanced" tab. You should see an option for "Enable Startup Menu". Remove the checkmark, click on OK, restart Windows and you should be fine.

Go to system restore off of system tools - click settings, then settings again. Move the slider bar to MAX (disk space).
  2. ksiemb said:
    Go back to Msconfig and then click on the "Advanced" tab. You should see an option for "Enable Startup Menu". Remove the checkmark, click on OK, restart Windows and you should be fine.

Go to system restore off of system tools - click settings, then settings again. Move the slider bar to MAX (disk space).

There is no advanced tab that I can see, is it under one of the tabs? Also didn't see some of the other stuff.

This is XP by the way.
  3. trekking95 said:
    There is no advanced tab that I can see, is it under one of the tabs? Also didn't see some of the other stuff.

This is XP by the way.

General Tab - Check Normal Startup
  4. ksiemb said:
    General Tab - Check Normal Startup

So just go back to normal startup? Then it does the same thing.

So what would cause that slow startup anyway? I never did find the problem.
  5. Well I tried running different services under the msconfig and found it was @C:\Program Files\Nero\Update\NASvc.exe,-200 that was doing it!

So I turned the updates to manual in the services.msc and it boots up like a fast computer should, fast! :D :D

Will let you guys know if I have any other problems, thanks! :)
  6. trekking95 said:
    Well I tried running different services under the msconfig and found it was @C:\Program Files\Nero\Update\NASvc.exe,-200 that was doing it!

So I turned the updates to manual in the services.msc and it boots up like a fast computer should, fast! :D :D

Will let you guys know if I have any other problems, thanks! :)

Very good. Now, if still in selective startup, you can go to the startup tab, enable all, and after the restart, you should be in Normal startup mode.
  7. ksiemb said:
    Very good. Now, if still in selective startup, you can go to the startup tab, enable all, and after the restart, you should be in Normal startup mode.

Already did that! Normal mode works just as good! :D

Have you ever heard of that Nero problem before or is not normal?
  8. trekking95 said:
    Already did that! Normal mode works just as good! :D

Have you ever heard of that Nero problem before or is not normal?

It is not really a problem. Many APPS will connect to internet to update their databases during startup and prior to loading their software.
  9. Okay tried the same thing on a ThinkPad and it didn't make a difference!

I even tried one half or another of the services and with either half off it was faster, with both halves it was slow again! How weird is that!

So since pinpointing that way won't work, what else could I do?

Also I am letting it install a few months worth of windows updates and will let you know if that makes a difference!
  10. trekking95 said:
    Okay tried the same thing on a ThinkPad and it didn't make a difference!

I even tried one half or another of the services and with either half off it was faster, with both halves it was slow again! How weird is that!

So since pinpointing that way won't work, what else could I do?

Also I am letting it install a few months worth of windows updates and will let you know if that makes a difference!

You might want to turn on boot logging. Search "boot log" in this article of Troubleshooting the Start up process.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457123.aspx
  11. ksiemb said:
    You might want to turn on boot logging. Search "boot log" in this article of Troubleshooting the Start up process.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457123.aspx

Will that mess up anything or is it safe to do?
  12. trekking95 said:
    Will that mess up anything or is it safe to do?

Unbelievable ! - never mind - maybe someone else will be along to assist you.
  13. ksiemb said:
    Unbelievable ! - never mind - maybe someone else will be along to assist you.

Ummm, what did I do? Not being a super advanced user I thought I would ask. Sorry to sound dumb here. :??:
  14. And boot log makes it start up the exact same way as normal. Should anything look different? Like there isn't even a dialog box on the screen during boot logging.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP