Sign in with
Your question

How do you completely test a new system build?

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2009 11:27:48 PM

So I haven't bought my new system yet, but when I do it will be my first. I am worried that since it will be a completely new build, 1 or more of the components wont work. I will likely not find out everythig that's not working in time for the warranty. I have a BIT of experience repairing pcs though, I found out and fixed my uncle's pc when his psu died. So, where do I start? I would like to get all the testing software before hand and a list of what I need to do. That way I can just run all the test equipment and hopefully fix any problems. Thanks for the help.
October 29, 2009 1:19:37 AM

My suggestions are:
1) Read shortstuff_mt's "Read Before you Post about a Boot Issue" stickie. It has very good troubleshooting ideas to know.
2) Download these four programs (Links can be found in the thread list in my signature)
  • Prime95 - This program will stress your system and point out any temp or stability issues.
  • RealTemp or HW Monitor - These are one of a few programs to monitor your system temps.
  • MemTest86 - This will test your memory for any issues or errors.
  • 3DMark Vantage - This will perform a system performance benchmark test that you can compare your system's performance to others.
    October 29, 2009 2:01:29 AM

tecmo34 said:
    My suggestions are:
    1) Read shortstuff_mt's "Read Before you Post about a Boot Issue" stickie. It has very good troubleshooting ideas to know.
    2) Download these four programs (Links can be found in the thread list in my signature)
  • Prime95 - This program will stress your system and point out any temp or stability issues.
  • RealTemp or HW Monitor - These are one of a few programs to monitor your system temps.
  • MemTest86 - This will test your memory for any issues or errors.
  • 3DMark Vantage - This will perform a system performance benchmark test that you can compare your system's performance to others.

• Thanks for the suggestions, that's exactly what I had hoped someone would say. I read the "Boot Problems" stickie before, and that helps quite a bit, but what I lacked was some kind of program that would tell me whether something was working properly or not (prime95 looks good). thanks for the info.

PS: Is it likely that something won't work when buying a completely new build? is it stupid to buy a completely new build, because so many of the components could have problems at the same time that you wouldn't be able to find out which ones have problems? These are my biggest fears. I don't wont to pay 1000$ only to pay some other guy 400$ to fix my brand new pc.
    Related resources
    October 29, 2009 2:16:24 AM

Problems usually arise when you:

1. Don't RTFM's ..... use the pictures even if ya don't read everything. I suggest you download the manuals for all your stuff of the manufacturer's web sites, and then spend the next two days reading them while you wait for brown truck to arrive.
    2. Unplug something and forget to put it back......that thing that was in the way that you remember plugging in ... well you unplugged it to route that other wire thru and forgot to put it back.
    3. Things you just overlook.

For example, the last build I did w/ my son, it was late and I'm pretty much connecting things by rote. Yoiu plug the 24 pin into the 24 pin, the 8 and 6 pin pci-e's in, the ....yada yada yada .... the 4 pin CPU plug into the 4 pin plug ...... the.....wait a minute, that was supposed to be an 8 pin EPS plug .... what the hell ? Why did the manufacturer stick a black cover over half those pins ?

October 29, 2009 2:47:25 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
    Problems usually arise when you:

1. Don't RTFM's ..... use the pictures even if ya don't read everything. I suggest you download the manuals for all your stuff of the manufacturer's web sites, and then spend the next two days reading them while you wait for brown truck to arrive.
    2. Unplug something and forget to put it back......that thing that was in the way that you remember plugging in ... well you unplugged it to route that other wire thru and forgot to put it back.
    3. Things you just overlook.

For example, the last build I did w/ my son, it was late and I'm pretty much connecting things by rote. Yoiu plug the 24 pin into the 24 pin, the 8 and 6 pin pci-e's in, the ....yada yada yada .... the 4 pin CPU plug into the 4 pin plug ...... the.....wait a minute, that was supposed to be an 8 pin EPS plug .... what the hell ? Why did the manufacturer stick a black cover over half those pins ?

thanks will not even touch my pc before i read the manuals. i've read about all of those common problems like not putting the proper risers in the proper places, etc. im just a very paranoid (well I guess it's not paranoia 'cause there's obvious reason for my fear) kind of person. I would hate to waste 1000 bucks. thanks again.

lol ur sig
    !