Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I have just bought and mounted the GA-X58A-UD7, with Intel i7 980X processor, but when I turn the computer the motherboard lights up but nothing appears on the monitor and the Debug LED shows n° 89. Seeing that I cannot view the computer on the monitor I am unable to see what BIOS version I have.
Please let me know what I need to do to overcome this issue.
Many thanks,
Mariano

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

You mobo only support that processor with the F3 BIOS version. So, u need upgrade your BIOS.

Download the F3 BIOS version from here and boot from a CD or flash drive to upgrade the BIOS. BUT 1st read the process about upgrade your BIOS on the manual of the mobo, a bad update BIOS can kill your mobo.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Considering that you are going to buy a processor you won't use and you bought a 980X, you must have some serious money. Can't you just find a computer shop and get them to help you out, or ship it to me when your done =].

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I will not buy a new processor for myself (because I don't have serius money). The 980X was a gift. A friend of mine wants a new computer so I will "steal" it for a while. ;)

Hi again.

BIOS update guide from Gigabyte manual page 74,75 and 76.

4-2-1 Updating the BIOS with the Q-Flash Utility
A. Before You Begin
1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard
model.
2. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. x58aud7.f1) to your floppy disk, USB flash drive, or hard drive. Note: The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.
3. Restart the system. During the POST, press the <End> key to enter Q-Flash. Note: You can access Q-Flash by either pressing the <End> key during the POST or pressing the <F8> key in BIOS Setup. However, if the BIOS update file is saved to a hard drive in RAID/AHCI mode or a hard drive attached to an independent IDE/SATA controller, use the <End> key during the POST to access Q-Flash.
continue with the link on page 75.

Follow the instructions carefully and u will not have problems with the BIOS update. U can update with the F3 BIOS version that is minimum for the 980x or with the last BIOS version (F6) what also support the 980x.

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hi I have tryed everything. Nothing worked except when I subtituted the processor with a i7 920 (borrowed from a friend of mine). I could then see the BIOS, so I set it and flashed the latest version F6. Everything worked. The motherboard gave me the full function. Tomorrow, I will retry with the 980X and see what will happen. I will keep you posted....

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hi, everything on my computer works perfectly now!

The “little monster” now is working with:

- Intel i7 980X
- Gigabyte X58A UD7
- Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W
- Team Xtreem Dark DDR3 Series 1600Mhz Cl8 6G – 1,65V
- WD Caviar Black 1T – 6Gb/s
- ATI HD5870 Sapphire 2GB Eyefinity6 Edition

Thanks to all of you!

Have a nice day

TRENDING THREADS