Last response: in Components
January 15, 2010 11:13:19 AM

let's say that I'm gonna buy a PC with this specifications:
CPU - Core i5-750
Memory - Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
HDD - WD Black Edition 640GB 32MB Cache
Motherboard - Asus P7P55D
GPU - Geforce GTS 250 1GB

Does a Thermaltake TR2 RX 450W will be enough to handle the system?
And if not, how much watt are needed?

More about : psu choose

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2010 12:05:31 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The 450W PSU is enough for your system if YOU DON'T WANT make SLI.

HERE are 5 good 550W PSU, why 550W?, maybe for a future upgrade of your GPU or another components.

My votes goes in this order:

1- Coolermaster
2- Corsair
3- OZC
4- Antec BP550
5- Antec TruePower

Choose one acording with your budget and brand preference.
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 15, 2010 12:21:42 PM

saint19 said:

My votes goes in this order:

1- Coolermaster
2- Corsair
3- OZC
4- Antec BP550
5- Antec TruePower

Why does the Antec TPN make the bottom of your list ?
It's the most efficient, highest quality build of all your choices, and can provide upto 5 more amps of power on the 12v than the CM.
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:22:06 PM

Just to be sure, Are there more who think this PSU can handle this system?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 15, 2010 12:36:45 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

Here is a link to a technical review of the Thermaltake TR2 RX 450 watt power supply and comparison with other 450 watt power supplies:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i...

I suggest you read the entire review and pay particular attention to the comparisons with other power supplies. It should become readily apparent the Thermaltake unit is not a stellar performer. Although it costs a little more the Corsair VX450 would be a more appropriate choice.
m
l
!