Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
I have just bought and mounted the GA-X58A-UD7, with Intel i7 980X processor, but when I turn the computer the motherboard lights up but nothing appears on the monitor and the Debug LED shows n° 89. Seeing that I cannot view the computer on the monitor I am unable to see what BIOS version I have.
Please let me know what I need to do to overcome this issue.
Many thanks,
Mariano

bilbat

Splendid
This is becoming a repetitive problem; you likely got a board shipped with the F2 BIOS, which can't do the major changes 'whacked into' the 'hexacores', even just to initialize... Likely solution, 'borrow' something like a 920 for an hour or so to flash the latest BIOS (F6)...

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you, I need to upgrade the BIOS and "buy" a 920.
I will read the manual of the mobo to boot it from a CD or flash drive.
Have a nice day
M

bilbat

Splendid
You don't really need the 'bootable flasher' - just run the .exe fron GB download, and it will extract to three files. Put the largest of these onto a floppy or a USB stick and use the 'in the BIOS' flasher, available at the bottom of the main BIOS menu. If you use a USB, must be formatted to FAT-32, and on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS, "Legacy USB storage detect", (but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function") - either way, set to "Enabled"...

bilbat

Splendid
Here's a suggestion: when I was first learning my original Z-80 powered KayPro, in the late eighties, I religiously attended 'users group' meetings - people got together, traded know-how, did demos, held workshops... I just did a short local search, and found there are still, like, a million of these! Try looking here:
http://easyrsvp.com/ugotw/old/ugus.htm
or just type "computer user group" and the name of your city into Google; a meeting like that is sure to turn up someone who will have some kind of non-hex i7 laying about, who will likely be glad to help you out!

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
The Gigabyte Global Technical Service also says:

"Remove such as add-on cards, devices from motherboard, only install CPU, single memory, single HDD, VGA card and power (simple environment), and make sure the components on the motherboard are installed properly, then please take off the on-board battery to leak voltage to clear CMOS data by following the steps below:

1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the power cord from the PSU.
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
5) Connect power cord to PSU again and turn on power.
6) Power on your system.
7) If BIOS can POST, please enter the BIOS and load the fail-safe defaults setting.
8) Save changes and reboot the system.

After clearing CMOS and load the fail-safe defaults, please test your system in a simple environment to observe the result. If there's nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again."

They don't say anything about the BIOS.

What do you think?

bilbat

Splendid
Here's what I think:

GB's support appears to be (like almost everyone's) 'tiered'; your first response (and maybe second or third) are 'canned' generics, much like the 'canned' fixes I have dispensed here for a year, and have finally 'compacted' into the 'sticky'. I, however, do not suffer from the English-to-Mandarin-to-English 'barrier', which is formidable! Don't get me wrong - these people are not stupid, which we often assume when facing poor translations. I have been working at learning Mandarin for about nine months now, and still know nothing! It is a syntactically 'sparse' language - at its basics, very simple; but, the problem is the character system and speaking. Each word/syllable has four 'intonations':
flat: TŪI - push, or postpone
rising: TÚI - decline or decay
falling then rising: TŬI - leg or thigh
and falling: TÙI - molt or slough
and each of these four has a seperate, complex character. There are something like twenty thousand characters, of which ten or twelve thousand are in 'common' use! And, to further complicate matters, a word may have two syllables, and two characters in combination - I'm continually amazed that Chinese can learn to speak and write their names before age thirty!

The 'trick' is, if you persist, to reply repeatedly with enough simple respect, and showing enough knowledge and comprehension of your problem, tell them the 'last fix' didn't work (and if you can why - or why the respones wasn't applicable in your situation); you will be 'passed up' a tier, to the next level of support, where you will find better comprehension of English, and a higher level of technical competency. You have to realize, they have to respond to five-hundred people a day, who haven't read their manual at all, and don't know they must start their board with a "Load Optimized", inquiring in twenty languages, without tying up expensive, rare, engineering-level talent!

And, we all complain about the manuals, but, if you want to see a comparison: EVGA is making what is 'billed as' the 'ultimate' enthusiast's board, the Classified SR-2, which allows OCing a pair of Xeons with a 5520 (the twin-QPI version of the X58) and four PCIeX16 slots hosted by an nVidia NF200 'splitter'; download a copy of the manual, and take a look at the BIOS setup section - it will give you a proper appreciation of GB's efforts!

The list they gave you resembles the 'sticky's 'Boot Loops' section, where, near the bottom, I list a 'break a loop' procedure.

I see one issue in their response that would certainly seem to be a translation issue:
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
They don't make clear that this is not an 'either or' instruction - first, you must remove the battery, then short the 'holder pins' - shorting the holder pins with the battery installed would not be a good idea - either melt what you're 'shorting' with, or blow up the battery - I think! The underlying idea is:
disconnect power supply to remove 'backup' rails, that remain on with the PSU off; drain the on-board capacitors (which I recommend holding the power switch depressed to accomplish); reset the CMOS; try to boot... If you can then get into the BIOS at all, likely the Load Fail-Safe would be a better idea, and give you some chance of enough stability to flash to a new BIOS, but I don't think the major architectural changes to the 'hwexacores' will even allow this - but, won't take but five minutes - worth a try!

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hi, I agree with you. I managed to get into the BIOS by substituting the processor with a i7 920 (borrowed from a friend of mine), nothing happened for a good 15 seconds and I was convinced that this wasn't the solution to my problem, but the processor then recognised the system and the BIOS appeared! I set it and flashed the latest version F6. It was easy and everything worked. The motherboard gave me the full function. Tomorrow, I will retry with the 980X and see what will happen. I will keep you posted.... Thanks again for all your suggestions. You've been a great help.

Mariano_66

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hi, everything on my computer works perfectly now!

The “little monster” now is working with:

- Intel i7 980X
- Gigabyte X58A UD7
- Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W
- Team Xtreem Dark DDR3 Series 1600Mhz Cl8 6G – 1,65V
- WD Caviar Black 1T – 6Gb/s
- ATI HD5870 Sapphire 2GB Eyefinity6 Edition

Thanks a lot!

Have a nice day