fonkydog

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hey

I need to get one more ddr3 stick of ram i got the 3 pack of corsair domminater running at 1866mhz i was wondering is ther enything that i can use to fill for the one thats missing (got 3 out of 4) ????

Thx

Look for another module that is the same size, voltage and timings that are on the set - or if your MOBO has 6 DImm slots buy another set of 3 !! (or buy a 2nd set and sell 2 of them to someone else)

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
YOU DO NOOOOOOT NEED TO BUY ANOTHER ONE!
DDR3 means u run in sticks of 3..........so 3.......6........9........12 and so on.
So if you have 4gb or 8gb that puts it into DDR2 MODE.

You are confusing DDR level with DUal channel vs. Triple channel mode !! - Intel's new CPUs have a triple channel mode that requires 3 sticks of Ram so they sell 3 modules per Kit which is what he bought - But he has an AMD CPU so it only runs in DUAL CHANNEL so he needs to either use 2 of the 3 modules he bought or buy 1 more to make 4 so he can remain in dual channel otherwise if he uses the 3 modules he will be running in SINGLE channel mode (AMD does not support Triple channel mode !) - So he does need to buy another module or run with just 2 in order to use Dual channel mode !!

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

Don't know you came up with that put I'll give it an A for blind creativity.

DDR3 means the 3rd revision standard for Double Density Ram. Has nothing to do with the MODE or quantity being used.

fonkydog,

You can run with just 3 slots filled even on your dual channel mobo. Might not run in dual channel (similar to a RAID HD setup,) but it will still run and probably won't be any significant hit to performance. Are these 2gb or 1gb sticks you have already? Depending on what you use your PC for, just using 2 for 4 gigs will be more than enough for gaming and you can sell the extra stick. If you have 1 gb sticks, JDFan has it covered, timings, voltage, size if you really want, but 3 gbs should be more than enough for gaming too. If you 're doing HEAVY production editing, then going to 8gb might be worth it if you have 3 or 4 resource hungry apps running with a large project.