• Homebuilt
  • SATA
  • Computer
  • Hard Drives
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2009 10:15:35 AM

I built my computer a year or so ago and I just recently bought a new, secondary hard drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). After installing and formatting it last night, I booted my computer today and before I could go to my desktop, a "Disk Checkup Utility" popped up. The process wasn't finished in 10 minutes (it stayed at 0% the entire time) so I just took out the new hard drive and it started up normally. How do I get around this? Is there something wrong with the hard drive? Thank you.

More about : sata hdd disk checkup

October 29, 2009 12:30:49 PM

There should be a skip option should you not want to run a checkup utility.
It sounds a little odd when you say it just popped up in windows. An example of when this is a fake trojan, described in this thread http://computerhelpforum.org/forum/security_risks/f23/s... is here. Just of course be careful that it isnt anything dodgy.
Another thing, depending on the spec of your PC and the size of your hdd, 10 mins is not a long time. During scans and defrags, the first 0-1% is usually the biggest hurdle as the PC is roughly checking the entire disc before going through it with a fine tooth comb. I suggest you give it a fair chance.
m
l
October 29, 2009 3:44:54 PM

Hello Tamastr and thanks a lot for your time.

Actually, I meant that it scanned right after it booted - before the desktop even loaded.

I had received my first hard drive (the same model and size of the one I originally linked to) about two weeks ago, and after I formatted it and set the drive letter to "G:", it began to emit a strange sound, so I RMA'd it. When I got the replacement, I formatted it and also set that drive letter to "G:"; when I rebooted, I had the original problem. So, I changed the drive letter to "F:" and now, everything is fine. I hope that that was all the problem was! Thanks again :wahoo:  .
m
l
Related resources
!