New Sata HDD and Disk Checkup

RoyaleFlush

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I built my computer a year or so ago and I just recently bought a new, secondary hard drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218). After installing and formatting it last night, I booted my computer today and before I could go to my desktop, a "Disk Checkup Utility" popped up. The process wasn't finished in 10 minutes (it stayed at 0% the entire time) so I just took out the new hard drive and it started up normally. How do I get around this? Is there something wrong with the hard drive? Thank you.

tamastr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
There should be a skip option should you not want to run a checkup utility.
It sounds a little odd when you say it just popped up in windows. An example of when this is a fake trojan, described in this thread http://computerhelpforum.org/forum/security_risks/f23/security_tool_fake/t26171.html is here. Just of course be careful that it isnt anything dodgy.
Another thing, depending on the spec of your PC and the size of your hdd, 10 mins is not a long time. During scans and defrags, the first 0-1% is usually the biggest hurdle as the PC is roughly checking the entire disc before going through it with a fine tooth comb. I suggest you give it a fair chance.

RoyaleFlush

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hello Tamastr and thanks a lot for your time.

Actually, I meant that it scanned right after it booted - before the desktop even loaded.

I had received my first hard drive (the same model and size of the one I originally linked to) about two weeks ago, and after I formatted it and set the drive letter to "G:", it began to emit a strange sound, so I RMA'd it. When I got the replacement, I formatted it and also set that drive letter to "G:"; when I rebooted, I had the original problem. So, I changed the drive letter to "F:" and now, everything is fine. I hope that that was all the problem was! Thanks again :wahoo: .