Sign in with
Your question

Can a failing video card cause XPpro SP3 to fail to load fully?

Last response: in Windows XP
April 22, 2012 11:17:46 PM

Hi all ==

I have a great old Pentium4 desktop running XP Pro SP3. I built it 6 or 7 years ago and it's been a trouble-free workhorse.

For the past two weeks, the XP Pro desktop has been failling to load completely. The background color appears - but no desktop icons and no task bar. Icons and task bar *do* load just fine in SAFE MODE though.

I thought it might be a virus...perhaps attacking explorer.exe...but I ran several malware detector utilities (in addition to my anti-virus background app) and found nothing.

So I'm wondering about the video card. It's an old NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 AGP 8X 256MB. Its fan started making noise a month or two ago. Could a dying video card cause XP Pro to not load completely? Device Manager says the card is working properly. Newest/last driver is from October 2006 (sheesh).

Weird thing: I run dual Samsung monitors and the XP Device Mgr has NEVER been able to identify them properly - always reports two big yellow QUESTION MARKS and the word 'Monitor' (device type: Other devices).

If not the video card, what about the power supply? I don't know how to tell if a PSU's health is failing... If this one is no longer working properly, could it cause XP Pro to fail to load fully?

ANY thoughts/suggestions much appreciated,
Tom
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 6:03:57 AM

Tom B said:
Hi all ==

I have a great old Pentium4 desktop running XP Pro SP3. I built it 6 or 7 years ago and it's been a trouble-free workhorse.

For the past two weeks, the XP Pro desktop has been failling to load completely. The background color appears - but no desktop icons and no task bar. Icons and task bar *do* load just fine in SAFE MODE though.

I thought it might be a virus...perhaps attacking explorer.exe...but I ran several malware detector utilities (in addition to my anti-virus background app) and found nothing.

So I'm wondering about the video card. It's an old NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 AGP 8X 256MB. Its fan started making noise a month or two ago. Could a dying video card cause XP Pro to not load completely? Device Manager says the card is working properly. Newest/last driver is from October 2006 (sheesh).

Weird thing: I run dual Samsung monitors and the XP Device Mgr has NEVER been able to identify them properly - always reports two big yellow QUESTION MARKS and the word 'Monitor' (device type: Other devices).

If not the video card, what about the power supply? I don't know how to tell if a PSU's health is failing... If this one is no longer working properly, could it cause XP Pro to fail to load fully?

ANY thoughts/suggestions much appreciated,
Tom

Yes, and Yes ! And you are asking for a lot of solutions in one thread ! :lol: 

1st - Make sure your OS is current with Windows updates, latest service pack, etc.
2nd - Pull the video card - dust off and reseat it. Clean up the innards !

3rd - You can use the following method to find drivers for the Monitors, if you cannot find them otherwise. (search Vendor / Device Code)
If you go in device manager, (for whichever device you need driver for)
Right click properties, go in details for the device driver.
You will see a code like per example VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in this case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com.
Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.

Before installing, delete those "Other Device" entries and see if they are gone after installation and reboot.

4th - PSU - You can by a standard Power Supply Unit checker online, unless the PSU is proprietary (DELL) in which case you would have to check the leads from the PSU with a multimeter.
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:25:01 PM

Thanks very much for the reply, ksiemb.
ksiemb said:
Yes, and Yes!

So that's YES it could be the video card, and YES it could be the PSU, right?

ksiemb said:
1st - Make sure your OS is current with Windows updates, latest service pack, etc.

Already there.

ksiemb said:
2nd - Pull the video card - dust off and reseat it. Clean up the innards

Ditto, already done.

ksiemb said:
3rd - ...find drivers for the Monitors, if you cannot find them otherwise. (search Vendor / Device Code). In device manager,
Right click [device] properties, go in details for the device driver.
You will see a code like example VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS... The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in this case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Ah. That's news to me. Thanks.

ksiemb said:
Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com. Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware. Before installing, delete those "Other Device" entries and see if they are gone after installation and reboot.

Thanks, I hope to try your suggestion this evening.

ksiemb said:
4th - PSU - You can by a standard Power Supply Unit checker online...[or] check the leads from the PSU with a multimeter.

Is the PSU checker you mention a piece of *hardware*? I was hoping maybe there'd be a freeware utility that'd monitor/measure this... Please advise. This is an old machine and I don't want to spend another dollar on it if I can avoid it... :D 

Would a $5 7-function mulitmeter (per link below) tell me what I need to know?
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-9802...

I've never used one before. Can you tell me where to put the probe(s) and what condition/result would indicate proper PSU function?

Thanks,
Tom
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 10:55:35 AM

Do you have onboard Video support?. In that case, just enable that in your BIOS and remove your AGP card and boot your PC.
m
l
April 30, 2012 7:57:24 PM

xtcx said:
Do you have onboard Video support?. In that case, just enable that in your BIOS and remove your AGP card and boot your PC.

Thanks xtcx, but I don't have on-board video.
m
l
!