Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How should I power my fans?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 1, 2012 2:59:53 AM

Hi guys I just finished building my new computer. The problem I have is understand how to power my fans and how I should position my fans.

I am using the
Corsair 300R Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and
H60 Water Cooling
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lastly mother motherboard (Asus p8z68)

The mobo only has 1, 3pin port and 3 4pin ports for fans. I am Using the 3 pin for the radiator and one of the 4 pins for the fans.

I have two fans which came with the case and I am not using. Unfortunately they are both 3 pin fans!

I like keeping my computer minimal, less is best. How do I power these two fans? Or do I need to buy new fans?

As far as positioning I have the fan and radiator on the back. A 140MM fan in the front with no power and lastly a 120MM fan laying around where should I put it? Top? Side? Front?

More about : power fans

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2012 3:22:33 AM

normally 4 pin fan headers will connect to a 3 pin fan just fine. 4 pins are for PWM fans. 3 pin are for voltage and RPM sensing. I just connect mine to the board (for simplicity and to get the rpm) but you could use molex adapters if you felt like it.
March 1, 2012 6:04:46 AM

unksol said:
normally 4 pin fan headers will connect to a 3 pin fan just fine. 4 pins are for PWM fans. 3 pin are for voltage and RPM sensing. I just connect mine to the board (for simplicity and to get the rpm) but you could use molex adapters if you felt like it.

Interesting I didn't think it was okay to connect a 3pin to a 4pin I will give it a try!
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2012 5:38:17 PM

I would get a fan controller for the Fans that should be arranged in a Push/Pull configuration....Put the fans blowing from back to front and throw the extra fan up top blowing out of the case ...Just my two cents
m
l
March 8, 2012 7:08:30 AM

Best answer selected by johnkerry.
m
l
!