• VIA

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
AMD or Intel and Why ?

Note that I am interested in seeing the results... not a flam war :whistle:

I picked AMD because I do not use SLI/Crossfire or require anything better then a PhenomII 955 with a single good graphics card to play any of today's games with high settings on 1920*1080

When I sell, I have not yet found a client who's needs or budget required more then the above.

I still respect the fact that the I5 is a good CPU and a solid performer for the price... I just don't see the point it owning it ATM.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Well... for the simple reason of having a good lead performance wise I voted for intel. If amd manages to get some better ipc i'd go with them.

As for the company itself i'd probably vote amd. However, since I couldn't give a sht how a couple tirant companies act to make more money, which is why they are in the business to begin with, i care only about is who is putting out the better product.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

I agree that anyone who will only buy a certain brand STRICTLY because he loves it is a fool...

However I fail to see how this is a flame thread... Specially since the reply above yours from Raidur is Honest, to the point and contributes properly to the poll.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It is simply because you ask what brand do you buy. Which is just asking what brand you're loyal to. Not what brand you wouild buy for a ____ system with a ____ budget. Depending on what the machine is going to be used for and how much money I am spending will determine what pc parts to use.

Its just a flat out stuid question IMHO and is flame bait to me.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah I wouldn't call the thread itself a flame, more like a box of matches sitting next to a barrell of gasoline sitting outside of an elementary school. Its only a matter of time. ;)

Atranox

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
My most recent purchase was AMD, so I voted AMD. I've always been very happy with my Intel chips though. Can't really go wrong with either, as far as I'm concerned.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Exactly.

Only nutjobs stick with one brand no matter what.

Godson - Guranteed to give you lead poisoning :p

I am with cjl. Well mor of a best performance for $1500 budget that normally gives $300 for CPU.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
When upgrading, I buy what I can afford (CPU/mobo combo) and then I look for the best value at that price range. Right now IMO, AMD are better value CPUs. They'll give 90-95% performance of an Intel CPU that's 30 to 50% more expensive.

But when it comes to CPU upgrades alone, most people will just buy whatever CPU socket they already have.

randomkid

Distinguished
I voted AMD.

At this time, there is no doubt about it because everything I will ever need for a PC can be met by AMD top of the line CPU. Even then, I did not even need to buy the top of AMD line for my need. And even when I can afford it, I will not buy an i7 and an X58 motherboard when it will cost disproportionately more for an extra capacity that I will never use anyway. I do not strive to have the best. I want what is best for me and AMD it is.

I have Intel and AMD systems ...I feel sorry for anyone who only has one PC with a house full of people ...

I gave my Q6600 to one of the kids with a 260GTX and I currently run / torture an E5300 at present to 3.46 with a 9600GT.

My old 6000+ is a dream to run and never lets me down either.

The other kids have 3800+ cpu's and 7900GS's ... good enough for them.

My point is all of these were purchased at the ideal price / performance point ... not because of a label.

Prior to that I ran 1700+'s and 2500+ Bartons ... see my point yet?

Before that I had a couple of T-Birds, and prior an A300 Celery @ 450 ... before that I had 5X86133 @ 160 and before that going way back to an AMD 486DX40 ... then I can only recall a Sperry XT @ 8Mhz. The 286 and 386's I had were many ... still have a 900 Mhz PIII running my firewall ... most stable rock around the sun.