• Intel
  • 49 %
  • VIA
  • 19 %
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 6:59:25 PM

AMD or Intel and Why ?

Note that I am interested in seeing the results... not a flam war :whistle: 

I picked AMD because I do not use SLI/Crossfire or require anything better then a PhenomII 955 with a single good graphics card to play any of today's games with high settings on 1920*1080

When I sell, I have not yet found a client who's needs or budget required more then the above.

I still respect the fact that the I5 is a good CPU and a solid performer for the price... I just don't see the point it owning it ATM.

More about : intel amd

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 15, 2010 7:05:58 PM

C00lIT said:
Note that I am interested in seeing the results... not a flame war :whistle: 

Yeah right, but as that's all these kinds of threads (and others) degenerate into don't be too surprised when it gets closed.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 7:39:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Yeah right, but as that's all these kinds of threads (and others) degenerate into don't be too surprised when it gets closed.

yep.
Related resources
January 15, 2010 7:42:47 PM

VIA. They are always on the cutting edge.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 7:49:28 PM

I don't see China's "Godzilla" CPU or whatever listed - maybe it's busy stomping Tokyo :p .
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 7:50:03 PM

Well... for the simple reason of having a good lead performance wise I voted for intel. If amd manages to get some better ipc i'd go with them.

As for the company itself i'd probably vote amd. However, since I couldn't give a sht how a couple tirant companies act to make more money, which is why they are in the business to begin with, i care only about is who is putting out the better product.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 8:06:23 PM

This entire thread is a flame thread. Anybody that will only buy a certain brand is gnerally a fool. So just the question itself is flaming.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 8:14:02 PM

someguy7 said:
This entire thread is a flame thread. Anybody that will only buy a certain brand is gnerally a fool. So just the question itself is flaming.

I agree that anyone who will only buy a certain brand STRICTLY because he loves it is a fool...

However I fail to see how this is a flame thread... Specially since the reply above yours from Raidur is Honest, to the point and contributes properly to the poll.

a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 8:25:14 PM

It is simply because you ask what brand do you buy. Which is just asking what brand you're loyal to. Not what brand you wouild buy for a ____ system with a ____ budget. Depending on what the machine is going to be used for and how much money I am spending will determine what pc parts to use.

Its just a flat out stuid question IMHO and is flame bait to me.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 8:28:56 PM

Yeah I wouldn't call the thread itself a flame, more like a box of matches sitting next to a barrell of gasoline sitting outside of an elementary school. Its only a matter of time. ;) 
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 8:36:41 PM

He is asking people's personal preference.

"What CPU do 'you' buy?"

I think its legitimate curiosity.
January 15, 2010 8:50:41 PM

My most recent purchase was AMD, so I voted AMD. I've always been very happy with my Intel chips though. Can't really go wrong with either, as far as I'm concerned.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 9:25:50 PM

Where is the option for "Whatever offers the best performance for me at the time of purchase"?
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 9:32:03 PM

^+1
I buy whichever serves my purpose best when I purchase.
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 11:00:20 PM

^+1 same here
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2010 11:04:29 PM

Intel=better

AMD=better value.

so it would depend on how much money i have for the prospective build. but i am more likely to build AMD.
January 16, 2010 6:23:44 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Where is the option for "Whatever offers the best performance for me at the time of purchase"?

Exactly.

Only nutjobs stick with one brand no matter what.
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 16, 2010 6:28:44 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
I don't see China's "Godzilla" CPU or whatever listed - maybe it's busy stomping Tokyo :p .

Godson - Guranteed to give you lead poisoning :p 

I am with cjl. Well mor of a best performance for $1500 budget that normally gives $300 for CPU.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 8:16:47 AM

When upgrading, I buy what I can afford (CPU/mobo combo) and then I look for the best value at that price range. Right now IMO, AMD are better value CPUs. They'll give 90-95% performance of an Intel CPU that's 30 to 50% more expensive.

But when it comes to CPU upgrades alone, most people will just buy whatever CPU socket they already have.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 16, 2010 11:04:10 AM

Intel or AMD ?

Paper or Plastic ?
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 12:11:38 PM

I voted AMD.

At this time, there is no doubt about it because everything I will ever need for a PC can be met by AMD top of the line CPU. Even then, I did not even need to buy the top of AMD line for my need. And even when I can afford it, I will not buy an i7 and an X58 motherboard when it will cost disproportionately more for an extra capacity that I will never use anyway. I do not strive to have the best. I want what is best for me and AMD it is.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 12:13:07 PM

I have Intel and AMD systems ...I feel sorry for anyone who only has one PC with a house full of people ...

I gave my Q6600 to one of the kids with a 260GTX and I currently run / torture an E5300 at present to 3.46 with a 9600GT.

My old 6000+ is a dream to run and never lets me down either.

The other kids have 3800+ cpu's and 7900GS's ... good enough for them.

My point is all of these were purchased at the ideal price / performance point ... not because of a label.

Prior to that I ran 1700+'s and 2500+ Bartons ... see my point yet?

Before that I had a couple of T-Birds, and prior an A300 Celery @ 450 ... before that I had 5X86133 @ 160 and before that going way back to an AMD 486DX40 ... then I can only recall a Sperry XT @ 8Mhz. The 286 and 386's I had were many ... still have a 900 Mhz PIII running my firewall ... most stable rock around the sun.
January 16, 2010 12:46:50 PM

can the mods please close this thread?
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 1:22:45 PM

wh3resmycar said:
can the mods please close this thread?

what for? if you don't like to vote or to post an opinion then don't... but don't prevent others from doing so...
January 16, 2010 1:40:19 PM

^ yeah, only this thread had already 50000000000000000000000000 similar threads.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 3:07:50 PM

VIA all the way, baby
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 3:13:31 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:

This was my exact question when I saw the Poll options. It's simply not a complete list of answers. Because some people may just choose not to select an answer because the answer they truly want isn't available. I can entirely see the point being made by folks about this becoming a flame war thread. The short list of Poll options forces division. ;) 

For the record, I chose "Intel" simply because in TODAY's market I bought Intel. Next year though, I could very well go with AMD (as I've done in the past). Frankly I've owned more AMD cpus than I have Intel. It's all about performance for me.
January 16, 2010 3:22:25 PM

No option for Cyrix. :( 
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 16, 2010 3:53:01 PM

If you are going to resurrect Cyrix, don't forget NEC.

My vote: Atom. :)  Oh, wait. That's Intel. Never mind.
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2010 3:58:52 PM

Well shoot, I'm going to vote for whatever CPU is in my BlackBerry Tour, cause it owns all your base...

Oh wait, Wikipedia says that might be the "Intel XScale 624 MHz CPU", so I guess I'm stuck with my Intel vote still. DOH!
a c 172 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 16, 2010 4:01:46 PM

Although it was never explicitly mentioned, I think we are supposed to be considering X86 compatibility.
January 16, 2010 4:31:19 PM

Both are constantly Leapfrogging each other...whatever is cheaper... I'm a fanboi of money in the pocket....
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2010 2:15:55 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Godson - Guranteed to give you lead poisoning :p 

That's gauranteed (TM JennyH) by the way :D 

So the Godson CPU uses lead solder or something? I used to make my own lead weights for scuba diving - would collect those little lead weights they used to have at the gas stations that they would remove from the tire rims when installing new tires, and then melt them down in an old frypan on the stove to pour into a sand mold. Of course I never used the frypan to cook food or anything :p . And look at me now - normal as anything! :pt1cable: 
!