Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It may be a coincedance but since installing SP2 when I right click on a
file on the desktop to check properties I get the hourglass and nothing
happens. The same for icons in the task bar although the startup group to
the far right are okay. I have seen a referance to this elsewhere and would
appreciate any clues.

Regards
Fred Pickering

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Have you got Dr. DivX installed? There seems to be an incompatibility with
their shell extension, which gives you the option to open a file for
conversion in Dr. DivX. Each time that I right-clicked on any file, after
installing it on a fresh install of an SP2 system, the shell would slow-up,
and then crash! If you have Dr. DivX installed let me know and I'll give you
a workaround for it.

Nik

"Fred Pickering" <fredp56@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> It may be a coincedance but since installing SP2 when I right click on a
> file on the desktop to check properties I get the hourglass and nothing
> happens. The same for icons in the task bar although the startup group to
> the far right are okay. I have seen a referance to this elsewhere and
> would appreciate any clues.
>
> Regards
> Fred Pickering

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I would appreciate the workaround Nik - i ended up removing Dr DivX and that
fixed the problem but I would like to be able to use Dr.DivX!!
Fred
"Nik Blackwell" <nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you got Dr. DivX installed? There seems to be an incompatibility with
> their shell extension, which gives you the option to open a file for
> conversion in Dr. DivX. Each time that I right-clicked on any file, after
> installing it on a fresh install of an SP2 system, the shell would
> slow-up, and then crash! If you have Dr. DivX installed let me know and
> I'll give you a workaround for it.
>
> Nik
>

> "Fred Pickering" <fredp56@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> It may be a coincedance but since installing SP2 when I right click on a
>> file on the desktop to check properties I get the hourglass and nothing
>> happens. The same for icons in the task bar although the startup group to
>> the far right are okay. I have seen a referance to this elsewhere and
>> would appreciate any clues.
>>
>> Regards
>> Fred Pickering

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd recommend re-installing Dr. DivX and then use ShellExView which you can
get off the link that follows, to disable "EncodeDivXContextMenu Class".
Also while you're getting that program, the programmer who made that has
been rather prolific, and has many small programs which could prove to be
useful. One of my favourites being ZipInstaller which gives you the option
when you right-click a .zip file, to install it, and included Start Menu
items and an uninstaller! Great little applet.

>I would appreciate the workaround Nik - i ended up removing Dr DivX and
>that fixed the problem but I would like to be able to use Dr.DivX!!
> Fred
> "Nik Blackwell" <nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Have you got Dr. DivX installed? There seems to be an incompatibility
>> with their shell extension, which gives you the option to open a file for
>> conversion in Dr. DivX. Each time that I right-clicked on any file, after
>> installing it on a fresh install of an SP2 system, the shell would
>> slow-up, and then crash! If you have Dr. DivX installed let me know and
>> I'll give you a workaround for it.
>>
>> Nik
>>

>> "Fred Pickering" <fredp56@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>>> It may be a coincedance but since installing SP2 when I right click on a
>>> file on the desktop to check properties I get the hourglass and nothing
>>> happens. The same for icons in the task bar although the startup group
>>> to the far right are okay. I have seen a referance to this elsewhere and
>>> would appreciate any clues.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Fred Pickering

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Oops! I forgot to include the link for ShellExView. Here it is...
http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/shexview.html

Nik

> I'd recommend re-installing Dr. DivX and then use ShellExView which you
> can get off the link that follows, to disable "EncodeDivXContextMenu
> Class". Also while you're getting that program, the programmer who made
> that has been rather prolific, and has many small programs which could
> prove to be useful. One of my favourites being ZipInstaller which gives
> you the option when you right-click a .zip file, to install it, and
> included Start Menu items and an uninstaller! Great little applet.
>
> Nik
>

> "Fred Pickering" <fredp56@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>>I would appreciate the workaround Nik - i ended up removing Dr DivX and
>>that fixed the problem but I would like to be able to use Dr.DivX!!
>> Fred
>> "Nik Blackwell" <nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you got Dr. DivX installed? There seems to be an incompatibility
>>> with their shell extension, which gives you the option to open a file
>>> for conversion in Dr. DivX. Each time that I right-clicked on any file,
>>> after installing it on a fresh install of an SP2 system, the shell would
>>> slow-up, and then crash! If you have Dr. DivX installed let me know and
>>> I'll give you a workaround for it.
>>>
>>> Nik
>>>

>>> "Fred Pickering" <fredp56@tpg.com.au> wrote in message

Well I have to say a big thanks as well Nik. It was driving me crazy as
well, all fixed now. Thanks :)

Danny.

--
nzmacro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dr. DivX 1.0.6 has now been released which fixes the problem. Time to
update!

Nik

"Nik Blackwell" <nik_blackwell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you got Dr. DivX installed? There seems to be an incompatibility with
> their shell extension, which gives you the option to open a file for
> conversion in Dr. DivX. Each time that I right-clicked on any file, after
> installing it on a fresh install of an SP2 system, the shell would
> slow-up, and then crash! If you have Dr. DivX installed let me know and
> I'll give you a workaround for it.
>
> Nik
>

> "Fred Pickering" <fredp56@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> It may be a coincedance but since installing SP2 when I right click on a
>> file on the desktop to check properties I get the hourglass and nothing
>> happens. The same for icons in the task bar although the startup group to
>> the far right are okay. I have seen a referance to this elsewhere and
>> would appreciate any clues.
>>
>> Regards
>> Fred Pickering

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

hi nick, i had the same trouble with dr divx/ right mouse button lock
ups......
removal of dr divx works a peach for soting it out.......
ta very much, markie mark and a h/n/yr