Sign in with
Your question

Unable to access removable disk

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2011 6:29:57 PM

Hello,
I' am uncertain that the issue stem from hard disk that sit in enclosure vs. Windows Vista 64-bit OS can't access my removable HD via USB connection?
Another question is what the proper jumper set on Hard Disk in order to be access via USB port?
a c 291 G Storage
September 17, 2011 10:23:12 PM

If your drive is PATA, then jumper it as Master.

If it is SATA, then sometimes you may need to limit its interface speed to 1.5Gbps.

If the drive is powered from the USB port, then be aware that USB ports are current limited. Sometimes you may need a Y-cable to pick up power from two USB ports.
m
l
September 18, 2011 6:07:24 AM

fzabkar said:
If your drive is PATA, then jumper it as Master.

If it is SATA, then sometimes you may need to limit its interface speed to 1.5Gbps.

If the drive is powered from the USB port, then be aware that USB ports are current limited. Sometimes you may need a Y-cable to pick up power from two USB ports.

First thanks to the person with login name "fzabkar". I'm unsure what type of HD I have. its brand "Hitachi", Model # HDT725032VLAT80 - ATA/IDE. The enclosure is attached with power supply -- Output = 12 V with USB 2.0 port.
Would you please summarize the procedure/step I need to do in order to diagnostic & resolve issue.

Thanks,
Kevin
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 18, 2011 7:49:42 AM

Did you assemble this as an external drive or did you buy it already assembled?

I'm guessing that you bought it already assembled. In that case, the proper jumpers should be already installed.

So if it doesn't work, you have several possibilities:
It's not getting power.

You have a problem the your computer's USB system. Try the drive in another system.

The device itself is bad. This has two possibilities:
The USB interface is bad.
The hard drive inside is bad.

You may be able to remove the data on the drive by plugging the bare drive into a PC and copying the data to another drive.
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:22:48 AM

jsc said:
Did you assemble this as an external drive or did you buy it already assembled?

I'm guessing that you bought it already assembled. In that case, the proper jumpers should be already installed.

[kt] I put the hard disk that used to be a data internal disk of the desktop system into enclosure, so that i can use this hard disk as portable external disk.

So if it doesn't work, you have several possibilities:
It's not getting power.

[kt] this enclosure device-HD is powered with the power supply.

You have a problem the your computer's USB system. Try the drive in another system.

[kt] I've tried this enclosure-USB device plugged into another desktop system with the same issue.

The device itself is bad. This has two possibilities:
The USB interface is bad.
The hard drive inside is bad.

[kt] I know for sure USB interface is not an issue since I tried swop out different hard disk with this enclosure & it works fine; i doubt the hard disk is bad.
The only question i have is about setting the jumper on the hard disk to work as external disk.

You may be able to remove the data on the drive by plugging the bare drive into a PC and copying the data to another drive.

Thanks to the response details with the login "jsc".
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:43:51 AM

Sometimes the front USB ports don't recognize external HDDs on older computers. Try plugging it in one of the back ports.
m
l
!