Smart Response question

cgravil

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I picked up the microcenter 64gb ssd on the cheap, (open box return for $65) and have been fiddling with it as I built my computer.

I have an honest question though, what's the optimal senario with this drive? the main boot drive is currently a 300gb raptor

a.) SSD as boot and load office, adobe suite, and maybe steam on it, loading everything else onto the 300gb

b.) Leave Raptor as boot and enable smart response @20gb and use the remaining 38gb partition for office adobe and maybe steam

c.) Leave Raptor as boot and enable smart response with the whole drive

d.) Fit OS, adobe, office onto the 38gb partition, the rest on the raptor, with the 20gb partition caching the raptor (thanks thrakazog!)

Relevant specs:
Windows 7 Professional
Asus p8z68-v Pro
300gb WD Raptor
64gb Microcenter SSD

Raptor and the SSD are plugged into the Sata 6gb ports on the mobo. There's more system components, but they aren't relevant to the question posed

Solution
There is a lot of misunderstanding about caching. Intel developed caching for clients and businesses that could not afford a large capacity ssd. Back when the concept was on the drawing board, Intel hoped clients and businesses would purchase a small 10Gb or 20GB for about $100.00. Microsoft Windows 7 and all software applications would remain on hard disk drives. The cache only produced a minor boost in hard drive performance. Intel hoped that once clients saw the slight performance boost they might be inclined to purchase a larger ssd for much better performance.

Intel also researched the size of the cache. Intel determined that a 60GB ssd was the point where it made no sense to use the ssd as a cache for a hard drive. Instead if...

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Probably a mix of A and B if you can. If you can fit your OS and the few things you want onto the 38gb partition, and the rest on the raptor, with the 20gb partition cacheing the raptor, that'll get the most performance out of both drives. Otherwise, option A, where you place the OS and other stuff on the full ssd drive, then the rest on the raptor. Option C isn't a good choice unless you use a drive 1TB or larger.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about caching. Intel developed caching for clients and businesses that could not afford a large capacity ssd. Back when the concept was on the drawing board, Intel hoped clients and businesses would purchase a small 10Gb or 20GB for about $100.00. Microsoft Windows 7 and all software applications would remain on hard disk drives. The cache only produced a minor boost in hard drive performance. Intel hoped that once clients saw the slight performance boost they might be inclined to purchase a larger ssd for much better performance.

Intel also researched the size of the cache. Intel determined that a 60GB ssd was the point where it made no sense to use the ssd as a cache for a hard drive. Instead if you have a 60GB or larger capacity ssd, then Windows 7 and software applications should be installed on the ssd to take full advantage of the ssd capabilities.

Since you have a 60GB ssd, it makes more sense to install Windows 7 and your software applications on the ssd. The ssd performance boost is much higher than the hard disk drive performance increase.

Windows 7 will use up a just a little over 21GB leaving plenty of room for software applications.

Solution

Filling an SSD to near capacity is a really bad idea. Lots of folks I know run at 1/2 or at most 3/4 full capacity for the best performance. For the 64GB size, I recommend you use this as a boot drive with select programs such as office, browswers, email clients, and perhaps a game or two, or steam. Put all other programs and data on the raptor. Partitioning your SSD and filling it up will result in poor performance.

I've got the Kingston ssdNOW 100V+ 96GB ssd. I bought it when newegg had it on sale for $99.99. I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 and all the updates. Right now Win 7 is using 21GB. Then I installed my Adobe Photoshop products, other photo editing software, Microsoft Office, web publishing software, some utilities, and Iolo System mechanic Pro. Right now the grand total is right around 33GB. I have 60GB of left over ssd capacity. It's a little different with gamers.

You said that you have both drives plugged into the sata3 ports , does that mean that both drives are sata3 drives ? If they are then I would put the OS on the SSD and either office or steam and everything else on the Raptor. Your only real benefit is with gaming and office things don't really need the performance boost . You only have a 64 gb SSD and with updates and such it could fill up quickly.

cgravil

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
The raptor is sata2 the ssd technically sata3 I believe, but doesn't have the read write to saturate it. My thought was to give the two their own unfettered communication path to one annother, in the instance of multiple drives being accessed.

Seems like Johnny has the best solution so far, I'll leave it open through tonight to see if anyone else has something of value to add.

Thanks guys!