Overclocking - advantages and do I even need to?

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
What are the advantages or disadvantages of overclocking?

Here is what I'm getting:

GPU: nVIDEA GTX 570 or 650 Ti (I will SLI in the future, but not for it least a year)
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: 500W+
MOBO: Z68 LGA 1155
CPU:

now for CPU, I was originally going to get either the i5 2500k or 2550k, however that's only for overclocking. I'm interested in overclocking, but I'm not exactly sure if I really want to or need it.

What I plan on doing with this rig is hardcore gaming, maxing everything out, + possibly multitasking on top of that. But maxing everything out is top priority, plus it needs to be future proof in order to max out new games with higher graphical capabilities (perhaps a Crysis 3?) Could I do that fine with just an i5 2500?

Also, how easy is overcloking to a complete beginner? Is it just a click of a button or how does it work. Also what is Turbo Boost and is it similar to overclocking?

Thanks and please reply some of my posts get almost no replies...

master_nz

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I just build a PC and threw in a 2500k. It overclocks like a beast, currently running daily @ 4.5 GHz. Its very easy to over clock these CPU, mostly just changing the multiplier and few other settings. Many guides out there. Best to invest in a Heatsink if your going to overclock, as got to keep those temps down. Would recommend cooler master 212 evo.

Do you need to over clock to play the best games? most likely not as the GPU will be limiting factor for demanding games. But to get the most out of your investment i would go for it. Also helps in benchmarks.

If your overclocking, you gonna want the Core I5 2500K, i believe and don't take my word for it but i think the only advantage of the 2550K is it comes with the Integrated Graphics into the Chip. Eh if your gonna be running high end Kepler cards......Won't be needed. Ok So i see alot of people O.C they're I5 to around 4.0, I think 3.8 is a stable setting tho. Then when you need more performance, up it to 4.0. I see thats a popular frequency for most.

Turbo Boost is basically a quick O.C when you need some more Processor Horsepower then drops back down to its stock clocks when you aren't in need of extra CPU power. its a good thing to use, i might would try it out before Over Clocking.

This is all so very true. I forgot to mention a better CPU cooler and very correct about the GPU. Perhaps you could tell him a bit of detail about the process of Overclocking. I know there is many Software applications you can use that will AUto tune it to your desire.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Well depending on the motherboard they came with turbo boost activated, it is a feature that will auto overclock your cpu to a safe Clock, for example, i have a 2600k 3.4GHZ by the defaults when it is in standby it downclocks itself to 1.6ghz so you waste less energy and keep the cpu cooler, when you start using it it goes over to the turbo boost speed 3.8GHZ so it overclocks itself 11% that feature is good if you don't know how to overclock and it is safe.

Normally the 2500k will be a good enough CPU and there will be no gains overclocking it more than stock speeds for gaming, you may win more points in benchmarks but at gaming you will not notice changes, on the otherside GPU overclock does a much higher difference in gaming.

so i would just say to you overclock if you have first a new cooling solution because the stock cooler is not enough and were trying to win more score on benchmark tools, with turbo boost at my stock cooler my cpu was getting over 94 celsius on prime 95 stress test (tropical country), so if you are thinking in overclock over the Turbo Boost you need another CPU cooling solution.

I've had overclocked mine cpu to 4.3-4.4-4.5ghz and almost no gaming performance were changed so why keep running at hot temperatures for gaming there is no need for that on a new cpu, this is necessary when your cpu is starting to get old and starts to bottleneck your gpu.