Sign in with
Your question

Can an external hard drive be repaired

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2011 9:00:22 PM

Hello, I have a dead external hard drive, can it be repaired?
a c 288 G Storage
September 17, 2011 9:39:18 PM

Model number?

Did you drop it?

Did you overvolt it with the wrong adapter?

Does it spin up? If not, can you hear or feel it trying to spin up?

If you are using Windows, how does Microsoft's UVCView utility see the external drive?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...
October 13, 2011 3:32:23 PM

fzabkar said:
Model number?

Did you drop it?

If you are using Windows, how does Microsoft's UVCView utility see the external drive?

I have a simple-tech hard drive that was dropped. It worked immediately after, then when I disconnected it and tried to reconnect it later it wouldn't come on. It started making a loud short buzz about every two seconds. It is receiving power because the light is coming on but my computer isn't recognizing it.
Related resources
a c 371 G Storage
October 13, 2011 4:16:46 PM

A loud short buzz doesn't sound promising. If it's out of warranty, you can try removing the drive from the enclosure and attaching it directly to your motherboard. This will let you know if the drive is damaged or if it's just the enclosure that is bad, but at this point I'm not optomistic.
a c 288 G Storage
October 13, 2011 9:05:37 PM

Buzzing sounds suggest stiction (heads stuck to platters) or a seized spindle motor. These are common consequences of dropping your drive.

If the drive is powered from the USB port, then try using a USB Y-cable to pick up power from two ports.
September 30, 2012 6:50:38 AM

fzabkar said:
Model number?

Did you drop it?

HI- I saw your response to a previous question and would like to submit one of mine.
I have a Toshiba 320 GB external hard drive which is powered through the USB connection. It worked fine through yesterday, but today when I plugged it in, the blue running light came and it seemed to spin up (I feel the vibration of the drive). However, the computer no longer recognizes it as a Toshiba drive when it lists the drives (it is now local drive F) and I get an error message that the disk must be formatted in order to use it; the F:\ is not accessible, and there is a data error (cyclic redundancy check.) I have a huge number of photos store on the disk and really hope I can access them again. Any suggestions?
a c 288 G Storage
September 30, 2012 10:26:25 AM

AIUI, if a drive spins up but is not detected, then the problem is most likely an internal one. An additional complication with external drives is the USB-SATA bridge board or bridge IC. This handles the communication between the motherboard's USB host controller and the HDD.

UVCView will tell us something about the bridge, while a utility such as HD Sentinel will tell us about the HDD behind the bridge. In HD Sentinel you can generate a report by selecting Report -> Save TXT Report.
!