Thinking about a gaming computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2009 6:27:08 PM

I have been a console gamer all of my life, from Super Nintendo to my 360. I have been saving up to get a better HDTV and now have over $1,000 saved. Lately, however I have been thinking about putting the money towards a gaming computer. I figure if I save the money I have now, I could have over $1,500 by years end. My question is this. Would I be able to get a good gaming computer for that price, whether it be from a store, or built for me? I am not looking for anything to play Crysis on or anything, but I would like to play games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect on high settings, as well as go back and play games like Shadow Of Chernobyl and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.Thanks.

More about : thinking gaming computer

October 29, 2009 6:32:55 PM

Yep definitely, you can build a high end rig with that kind of money. You should build it yourself though, it'll be a fun learning experience and would be much cheaper compared to pre-built one's. It's not as hard as you think.

Do you need everything including monitor, OS, keyboard, etc. ?
m
l
October 29, 2009 6:37:54 PM

build said:
Yep definitely, you can build a high end rig with that kind of money. You should build it yourself though, it'll be a fun learning experience and would be much cheaper compared to pre-built one's. It's not as hard as you think.

Do you need everything including monitor, OS, keyboard, etc. ?

I have a decen monitor that came with the stock computer I have now, but I would probably upgrade in the future. Same for the keyboard. Any recommendations where to get parts and for tutorials?
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2009 11:39:04 PM

Check out newegg.com. Also, see the link in my sig, it might be helpful for you. How long till you would want to make the purchase?
m
l
October 30, 2009 11:35:26 AM

jbakerlent said:
Check out newegg.com. Also, see the link in my sig, it might be helpful for you. How long till you would want to make the purchase?

I'm still saving. I was thinking around spring next year.
m
l
October 30, 2009 12:54:10 PM

SlapHappyJesus said:
I'm still saving. I was thinking around spring next year.

Things change quickly. You need to look at what's available in the spring.

If you buy a computer from Dell outlet with one of the 15% coupons they occasionally send out, you won't really be saving much, if at all, by building it yourself.

What you get by building it yourself is typically parts that can be upgraded more easily. I.e. a more powerful power supply and a motherboard with free slots. That and the learning experience mentioned above. If you don't plan on upgrading and don't feel comfortable building your own, I suggest checking out the dell outlet and get on their mailing list. You can get excellent deals.
m
l
!