GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Here it goes. I need a good recommendation for a Heat-sink & Fan.

I have purchased and putting together:

Cooler Master HAF 932
MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 550 (80w)
4GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600 w/Fan Kit for AMD Phenom II's
1TB WD HDD (Will change to RAID conf. at a later date)
EVGA GTX 260 GPU
Sigma Shark 625w PSU

I need advise on a good, well placed Heat-sink & Fan for this setup.

Solution
By rifle rig I assume you mean those tall tower style cpu heatsinks. Typically they are 160mm in height. Your case would have to be at least 7.8 inches wide to accomodate that type of heatsink. My new Dragon Lord case is a little over 8 inches wide and easily accomodates a brand new Thermalright Venomous X tower style heatsink that is 160mm in height.

I also happen to have a Coolermaster HAF 932 for my old system. It is a huge beast. It can easily accomodate a tower style cpu heatsink and still leave plenty of room for the extra large fan mounted on the side panel. I am looking at my old system right now and I would say there is about an inch of space left over.
Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.

The Sigma Shark 625 watt power supply is not one that I am familiar so I checked several technical reviews:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sigma_shark_635/

http://www.ocia.net/reviews/sigma635/page-625.shtml

It is not what I would consider a stellar performer but it should be okay for just one video card. The first thing I noticed was the 110 to 240 volt switch on the rear of the unit. Modern high quality power supplies are able to automatically change voltage without a switch. The next thing I noticed was the current (amps) on the +12 volt rails. The +12 volt rails supply power to the cpu, video card and some other components. The current on each rail is rated at 20 amps. The actual combined total will be a little less that 40 amps. That is about the equivalent of a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply. I would have expected the combined total current for the +12 volt rails to be rated at 50 amps. Finally, the psu only comes with two, 75 watt, 6 pin, PCI-e power connections for video cards. A high quality 600 to 650 watt power supply would come with 4 PCI-e power connections. In all probability the Sigma Shark 625 should be considered as an average 500 to 550 watt power supply.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
there are so many coolers that will do the job, it really comes down to personal preference. the scythe mugen 2, TRUE, or Tuniq tower 120 extreme are all very good choices.

id say see what you can get locally at a good price, check some reviews and choose from there.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks JohnnyLucky.

I have looked on frostytech & Heatsink factory both. My issue is which one(s) would work best with the Corsair fan Kit and the GPU in the same general area. It seems their might be limited space around the CPU. Looking for similar conf. to compare to.

Yes, I know the the PSU is pretty sketchy. One paycheck at a time.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

By rifle rig I assume you mean those tall tower style cpu heatsinks. Typically they are 160mm in height. Your case would have to be at least 7.8 inches wide to accomodate that type of heatsink. My new Dragon Lord case is a little over 8 inches wide and easily accomodates a brand new Thermalright Venomous X tower style heatsink that is 160mm in height.

I also happen to have a Coolermaster HAF 932 for my old system. It is a huge beast. It can easily accomodate a tower style cpu heatsink and still leave plenty of room for the extra large fan mounted on the side panel. I am looking at my old system right now and I would say there is about an inch of space left over.

Solution

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Hey JL, This is what I came up with. I owned a Cooler Master V8 and sold it. Too much of a strain on the MOBO.

1. Heat sink & Fan - I thought one these would do the job.

Thermolab Baram Universal CPU Cooler

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Rev. C CPU Cooler

2. PSU, I have narrowed it down to these.

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC

Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W ATX12V V2.3 80PLUS BRONZE ATI CrossFireX Certified AMD GAME READY FanDelayCool Modular Power Supply

Thanks in advance for the help.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I am new to the forum and appreciate the quick responses. I know you can see my Newcomer badge and chose to ignore it. Thanks for that as well. You offer the most qualified answers I have seen yet. I hope to repay the debt of knowledge someday.

I have the original Thermalright Ultra 120 installed in my HAF 932 case. The Ultra 120 Extreme is a new and improved version.

The Corsair HX750 is a brand new psu that earned a Silver certification for energy efficiency. It also has modular cables so you only use the cables that you actually need. It makes for better cable management and improved air flow inside a case.