Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 with SATA 2 SSD and SATA 3 SSD - OCZ Vertex LE and OCZ Solid 3

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2011 9:43:52 PM

Can this work? My Asus G53SW-XN1 is coming soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I currently have 2 SSDs. One is the OCZ Vertex LE 100GB SATA 2 and the other is OCZ Solid 3 60GB SATA 3. The Asus G53SW-XN1 has 2 HDD Bays both SATA 3. Is it possible to put these 2 SSDs in raid 0? Obviously the SATA 2 SSD will bottleneck the SATA 3 SSD, but by how much? Or am I better off putting the 500GB hdd that comes with the system in the 2nd HDD bay and the 60GB SATA 3 SSD in the main bay?
a b G Storage
September 18, 2011 3:28:11 AM

your ssd's will give you much better iops even with a bottle neck. high end SSD's can max out sata6, id give it a shot and go with it. 2 sata2 ssd's will beat out a single 500 sata3 drive easily.
m
l
September 18, 2011 7:14:00 PM

ncc74656 said:
your ssd's will give you much better iops even with a bottle neck. high end SSD's can max out sata6, id give it a shot and go with it. 2 sata2 ssd's will beat out a single 500 sata3 drive easily.

I think you read my post wrong.

Scenario 1:

Raid 0 with my 2 SSDs one which is SATA2 and one is SATA3

How much of a bottleneck would this be?

Scenario 2:

Use SATA3 SSD and 500GB Stock HDD as storage.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 4:35:26 AM

you would be halving the throughput of your sata 3 drive in scenario 1. it comes down to space. if the single sata 3 SSD is allt he space you need for OS and programs then go that route. if its not then use the 2 SSd's in raid 0. in both cases the platter drive should be used for storage. it would be a large bottle neck in potential as far as the sata 3 drive is concerned but still leaps and bounds over a platter drive.
m
l
September 19, 2011 7:22:40 AM

I plan to only install a few programs if I use the SATA3 SSD. Windows / Diablo 3 / SC2 / MS Office / AV / Start up programs
m
l
a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 12:24:42 PM

well that should work then. i myself could never get away with a 60gb C drive but if you can go for it. you will have close to double the sequential read/write speeds as the sata 2 drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 20, 2011 9:17:00 PM

that larger LE will sqaush that smaller Solid 3 where it counts for an OS. The small randoms and incompressible write speeds will go down to the Solids poorish real data performance.

Sure the Solid 3 will show stronger sata3 specs on a good sata3 chipset.. but that would ONLY be with easily compressed data such as ATTO would show. Use AS SSD and that LE will score at least 100 points higher.

So to answer your question there.. the performance will be equal to 2 x 60GB sata2 drives in ATTO and AS SSD. Also keep in mind that the LE will lose much of its available space due to the smaller drive restricting the usable space in an array.

However you look at it?.. SSD's are all about channel count and 2 smaller drives will almost always beat 1 larger 1. I'd raid them and enjoy the extra low end grunt that raided Sandforce arrays offer.
m
l
!