Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NH-D14 trouble i7-970 HOT

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 1, 2012 5:36:46 PM

I recently just purchased a NH-D14 for my i7-970. I am overclocked at 4.0ghz 1.25v and with the stock intel cooler set to performance I was getting 67c after running F@H overnight. Now with the NH-D14 and an overnight run of F@H my cpu got up to 68c, both fans of the NH-D14were set to max speed.

During instillation I noticed that the cooler was not making good contact so I removed the black plastic standoffs and then was getting a good thermal paste footprint, so I would like to think that I am getting good contact.

For both coolers I am using AS-5.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on or is this just normal behavior for the NH-D14.

More about : d14 trouble 970 hot

a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 5:44:17 PM

Temps are looking fine.
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 7:40:36 PM

The problem I am having is that they are hoter than the stock intel cooler, which is contradictory to online benchmarks for this cooler.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 2, 2012 8:50:55 PM

Yes, that is because you are overclocked and most tests with the Intel stock cooler aren't done with any kind of overclocking.

You are attempting to compare apples to grapefruit here.
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 8:58:27 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Yes, that is because you are overclocked and most tests with the Intel stock cooler aren't done with any kind of overclocking.

You are attempting to compare apples to grapefruit here.



No you misunderstand me. That was with MY i7 intel cooler, with the exact same overclock both 4.0GHz and both with 1.25v, both using the same tube of AS-5. So all that is different is I removed the intel stock cooler and replaced it with the NH-D14.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 1:13:42 AM

Test with the noctua thermal paste instead of the AS5.

AS5 is out dated.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2012 11:30:56 AM

skaz said:
Test with the noctua thermal paste instead of the AS5.

AS5 is out dated.

Yes, it's been around awhile.
Oh,it's still one of the top performers.
The new and exiting TIM's ( including the Noctua paste ) only surpass it by a degree or 2



http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268354-29-thermal-com...
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 11:55:29 AM

How much paste are you using?
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 9:59:58 PM

skaz said:
Test with the noctua thermal paste instead of the AS5.

AS5 is out dated.



I'll give it a shot, but thermal paste does not really change that much and from what I have read. In thermal paste benchmarking AS-5 is better than the one noctua included. But I am always skeptical about online benchmarks anyways. I'll post my temps here once I am done. I think when I take the cooler off I am going to test the base for flatness too.

Also though, I am more conserned about the difference between the Intel stock cooler and the nh-d14. So as long as the same thermal paste is used on both, which it was. The thermal paste used is a mute point.
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 10:02:54 PM

grumbledook said:
How much paste are you using?


I am using a slightly transparant smear. Maybe .5ml at most.
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
March 5, 2012 3:00:04 PM

sempifi99 said:
No you misunderstand me. That was with MY i7 intel cooler, with the exact same overclock both 4.0GHz and both with 1.25v, both using the same tube of AS-5. So all that is different is I removed the intel stock cooler and replaced it with the NH-D14.



Perhaps I did...if that is the case, I'd say mounting/contact issue. There isn't anyway that cooler should allow hotter temps- should definitely cooler...at very worst...similar.

Def not warmer, though.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 4:29:11 PM

sempifi99 said:
I am using a slightly transparant smear. Maybe .5ml at most.


Try the small pea in the middle method
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 2:10:44 AM

grumbledook said:
Try the small pea in the middle method


I have tried that in the past, from my expierience it always leaves the edges uncoated. This equates to no heat being transfered from the edges. But I guess it is worth a try too. Will post results from that after I do it too.
m
0
l
March 10, 2012 6:51:38 PM

I just did some testing on this. I did 20min p95 and got 71c then removed the heatsink and redid the thermalpaste and was getting 70c after a 20 minute run.

Now I am going back to the intel heatsink and will do 2 20 minute runs, one in quiet more and one in performance mode. I will post temp updates once done.
m
0
l
March 10, 2012 7:28:47 PM

I just ran the intel stock cooler in quiet mode and got a warmest temp of 82c but that is expected since its stock cooler in quiet. Then I ran it in performance mode and got a max temp of 78c, I accidently ran the test for a little longer than I wanted to initially 25 vs. 20 minutes. But I don't think that makes much of a difference.

I guess this means that my other temps which i were thinking were high were not all that high after all. I am going to try the NH-D14 with some other thermal compounds I have lying around now and see if that makes any difference.


The intel cooler did not have a proper thermal paste footprint when I just removed it disregard these temps.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 5:45:47 PM

Ok, I redid the test with different thermal paste because I had ran out of AS5 and had the intel cooler running at 67c in performance mode again. I also redid the test with the NH-D14 and had it running at 62c max now. This is more of what I expected so it seems that maybe my AS5 tube had gone bad.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2012 10:00:11 PM

sempifi99 said:
Ok, I redid the test with different thermal paste because I had ran out of AS5 and had the intel cooler running at 67c in performance mode again. I also redid the test with the NH-D14 and had it running at 62c max now. This is more of what I expected so it seems that maybe my AS5 tube had gone bad.


good that you got it figured out. i just expected the difference to be bigger then that. maybe you just have a weird chip. On a Sb chip the difference between stock and a nh-d14 is way more then what you have found.
m
0
l
March 12, 2012 4:20:00 AM

cbrunnem said:
good that you got it figured out. i just expected the difference to be bigger then that. maybe you just have a weird chip. On a Sb chip the difference between stock and a nh-d14 is way more then what you have found.


I would have expected a little more too to be honest, but at least 5c is better than what I had been expieriencing before. But also too keep in mind, sandy bridge stock coolers are a lot smaller with 2 less heat pipes also. So that might cause a larger difference.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 12, 2012 4:29:22 AM

sempifi99 said:
I would have expected a little more too to be honest, but at least 5c is better than what I had been expieriencing before. But also too keep in mind, sandy bridge stock coolers are a lot smaller with 2 less heat pipes also. So that might cause a larger difference.

i thought they were essentially the same??
m
0
l
March 12, 2012 5:31:46 PM

cbrunnem said:
i thought they were essentially the same??


No, not quite the big differences are the different number of heat pipes and the actual area of the coolers. They do look similar tho. Also keep in mind the different physical size of the sockets too. If you just look at the pics you can see that the cooler area is about the same, but the i7-970 cooler actually has a much larger socket too.


I7-970 cooler with 8 heat pipes


i7-2600k cooler with 6 heat pipes





m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 5:42:24 AM

sempifi99 said:
No, not quite the big differences are the different number of heat pipes and the actual area of the coolers. They do look similar tho. Also keep in mind the different physical size of the sockets too. If you just look at the pics you can see that the cooler area is about the same, but the i7-970 cooler actually has a much larger socket too.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/asrock-x58-extreme6-i7970/intel-core-i7-970_heatsink.jpg
I7-970 cooler with 8 heat pipes

http://photos.expertreviews.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_Expert_Reviews/dir_279/er_photo_139675_52.jpg
i7-2600k cooler with 6 heat pipes


that might be the cooler they sent with your cpu but this is the cooler they sent with mine...
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Intel-...
huge difference lol
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 4:53:55 PM

2600k
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2012 11:10:38 PM

it cools the cpu fine at stock clocks but thats really all its good for
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 12:24:21 AM

Just an update for everyone who helped. I just purchased a H80 liquid cooler. I have just done 30 minutes of p95 and am at 54c with max can speed and 62c with minimum fan speed.

Also the ambient temperature of the room is 2c warmer than my previous tests with the intel cooler and the NH-D14. So either the NH-D14 is overhyped or I had a bad one. Or maybe it had to do with the 2 screw mounting system of the NH-D14. I diffinetly did not feel like that was working well the whole time I was using it.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2012 5:36:47 AM

sempifi99 said:
Just an update for everyone who helped. I just purchased a H80 liquid cooler. I have just done 30 minutes of p95 and am at 54c with max can speed and 62c with minimum fan speed.

Also the ambient temperature of the room is 2c warmer than my previous tests with the intel cooler and the NH-D14. So either the NH-D14 is overhyped or I had a bad one. Or maybe it had to do with the 2 screw mounting system of the NH-D14. I diffinetly did not feel like that was working well the whole time I was using it.


you had something wrong because the nh-d14 has benched numerous times on par or better then the h80. maybe you had some bad soldering on you heat pipes or something or a warped contact surface but the nh-d14 is not bad by any standards.
m
0
l
!