Cannot use the tasks menu on Microsoft Works Version 4.5a installed on Windows 7
Do you have any free downloads to help Microsoft Works Version 4.5a to work with Windows 7?
You should REALLY use some newer software. If you do not want to pay the cost of Microsoft Office then you can download OpenOffice.org for free.
sandymcinroe said:Do you have any free downloads to help Microsoft Works Version 4.5a to work with Windows 7?
I couldn’t agree more with you, when it comes to the timeless qualities of MS-Works 4.5.
And here is how I got it working on all of my Windows 7 - 64 bit Systems. Fully installed.
The same procedure might work on Windows 8
How to install a MS-Works 4.5. on a Windows 7 - 64 bit System
I Have done this on three different computers, it has always worked perfectly
Once you understand it, it is actually fairly straightforward and very simple.
But you have to be very exact
1. You need two computers
one computer must have a windows 32-bit OS
the other one has a Windows 7 - 64 bit System
2. You need a MS-Works 4.5. CD
The trick is
1. to install MS-Works 4.5. on the computer with a windows 32-bit OS first,
2. then to copy these files exactly to the same place on the Windows 7 - 64 bit System,
3. and finally to reinstall MS-Works 4.5. on the Windows 7 - 64 bit System using the setup.exe-file in the MS-Works 4.5. folder on your harddisk of
your Windows 7 - 64 bit System.
The installation only works if you use exactly the same setup for both installations, i.e. the same folders where you install MS-Work 45 and the
letter of the cd-Drive must also be the same. The crucial part is the MS-Works 4.5. cd in the cd/dvd drive of the Windows 7 - 64 bit System
The following procedure has been successfully tested by me :
On your windows 32-bit OS
1. Install MS-Works 4.5. on the Computer with the computer 32-bit system
1) Insert a MS-Works CD in your CD/DVD-Drive
Install MS-Works 4.5. with all options in the standard folder or any other, but it has to be exactly the same folder as the folder you will use for
MS-Works 4.5. on your Windows 7 - 64 bit System
so for example
2) Once the installation is complete, copy all the files of the folder
to a usb-stick and transfer the folder to exactly the same place on your Windows 7 - 64 bit System, i.e.
On your Windows 7 - 64 bit System
3) Place the MS-Works CD in your CD/DVD-Drive of your Windows 7 - 64 bit System. Important: Don’t let the cd start
Go to the folder where the setup files are stored , i.e.
click on setup.exe
4) The setup programm will start, taking the necessary files from the MS-Works 4.5. cd in your cd-drive