SSD w/ AHCI and 2 mechanical HDD's in Raid 0 on same controller

jake8078

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hi all, newbie here!

Just as the thread title says, I'm trying to figure out how to enable my crucial m4 in AHCI mode, as well as setting up a raid zero with my two 600 GB WD 7200 RPM drives. This has been driving me nuts - I've been searching for hours and can't find anyone that's solved this.

I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - it has 6 SATA ports using an intel controller as well as the 2 purple SATA ports on the gigabyte controller. I've read in multiple places that the gigabyte controller is slower than the intel, so I would like to have the following setup:

Port 0: Crucial M4 SSD (boot drive)
Port 1: DVD Burner
Port 2: WD HDD (in Raid 0)
Port 3: WD HDD (in Raid 0)

However, if I go into the BIOS, I can select only ACHI OR RAID. Because I've read that having an AHCI enabled on an SSD is highly recommended for performance, I would like to be able to have that advantage as well as the speed advantage of having the other 2 drives in Raid 0 on the intel controller.

What am I missing on how to do this? Thanks in advance!!! :bounce:

Solution
Not to worry.

AHCI is a subset of raid, so specify raid as the sata mode.

With the latest intel drivers, a SSD will get passed the trim command to help with performance, so long as it is not part of a raid array.
Your two hard drives can be set up as raid-0.

That said, do you really have a app that will benefit from raid-0?
In most cases, the performance improvement that you see with synthetic sequential benchmarks do not show up in actual app performance.
Not to worry.

AHCI is a subset of raid, so specify raid as the sata mode.

With the latest intel drivers, a SSD will get passed the trim command to help with performance, so long as it is not part of a raid array.
Your two hard drives can be set up as raid-0.

That said, do you really have a app that will benefit from raid-0?
In most cases, the performance improvement that you see with synthetic sequential benchmarks do not show up in actual app performance.

Solution

jake8078

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Thank you, Geofelt.

I set it up as RAID and benchmarked the SSD. I'm actually getting slightly better performance than with the AHCI-only driver that was otherwise being used (forget what it was called), so all is indeed well. I also verified that TRIM is enabled.

I use raid zero because I've always been told it's faster. Of less importance, I also like the simplicity of having only one "drive". I backup everything that's important anyways, so the potential reliability issues aren't really a concern to me.

Thanks again!