Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hello,

I was given a Barracuda 7200.7 200GB SATA drive to replace the drive that moved on to paperweight Status.
According to the lenovo site my present computer,
(Thinkcentre M50 8187 F1U)Came with either, a Western Digital WD Caviar or a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7. Now here is the issue... The Baracuda I was given is a SATA and the one I saw on the web for my system was shown as a Ultra/100. Another factor is the 7200 is out of a HP Desktop.
Will formatting and installing the firmware for the 7200 be sufficient to fool the mother board an OS. I do realize that HP, Dell Ibm, are proprietary systems.

Any thoughts,advice or a definite answer would be much appreciated.

I am about to lose what little sanity I have left.

If I had the finances I would buy a new system.
Thank you

Ultra/ATA100 (aka IDE) and SATA are physically different connections and looks like you have both connections. So you should have no issue just plugging the sata hdd in the right connection, plus power cable to the hdd and be good to go. Brands do not matter and hdd connections have standards, there are no proprietary connections that I know of.

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thank you for your input

I am currently fighting, what seems to be a losing battle with an older seagate IDE drive.
I am unable to find any driver for it and the ME OS only has a generic driver for it. No matter what I have attempted to do I am still receiving Drive is running in DOS compatibility mode. This is causing major memory drain.
With the virtual memory enabled it locks up "Msgsrv32 not responding" in close program window.
I have a full Gig of physical memory installed but I still have to periodically stop what I am doing and reboot the system.

Thank you for your input

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Yes the motherboard has two SATA connections and there are proper power connection.
As I explained to k1114
I am currently fighting, what seems to be a losing battle with an older seagate IDE drive.
I am unable to find any driver for it and the ME OS only has a generic driver for it.
No matter what I have attempted to do I am still receiving Drive is running in DOS compatibility mode.
This is causing major memory drain.
With the virtual memory enabled it locks up "Msgsrv32 not responding" in close program window.
I have a full Gig of physical memory installed but I still have to periodically stop what I am doing and reboot the system.

You'll probably just want to do a clean install of windows with that sata hdd and have the ide drive as a slave to get any data you need off of it if you can.

By the way, this is a forum, you don't need to click reply to each person. Everyone with internet can read everything said here.

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Hello,

First I would like to apologize,

I am new to this form of communication.

Having said that.

There seems to be multiple problems with this configuration of old hardware and older software. So please bare with me. If I am using the wrong forum let me know where I need to post question(s)

I have edited the registry Removing all BAD_IDE lines.

I have also changed status of computer to network server in file system window.

I have added the line (ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1) in system.ini
to get the system to use physical memory.

And at present I have virtual memory disabled just keep this thing running.

Prior to the CD/R dying, the old hard drive locking up, this was a nice computer to work with.

Thanks to everyone for you assistance.

Hewhospeaksoffloppydisk

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

I removed the 2 BAD_IDE entries I found in the registry, but could not find NOIDE
When removing the BAD_IDE entries in registry this line was directly below
MatchingDeviceld "MF\BADSECONDARY"

Should this be removed as well?